First real part: Instrument Panel

All,

I have finally cut my first glider instrument panel with the MPCNC. It was the reason I built the CNC in the first place; just so I can cut clean holes to mount instruments.

After doing all the CAD (using LibreCAD) in 2D, I cut some scrap stock to verify the patterns were correct.

I then worked out the whole process for doing the cuts on a non-flat surface and here is the finished work:

I didn’t have a good pattern for the outline of the panel so that will be cut with my bandsaw.

Here’s the next step: bonding the flat panel to the tray that actually mounts into the glider:

The blue tape covers some holes that i was filling with epoxy putty.

I’ll post the finished part later this week, after painting and installing the instruments.

BTW, this panel fits into a Glasflugel Standard Libelle, 201

Mike B.

13 Likes

Cool!
Are you cutting it in some kind of water tray? I hear that stuff is dangerous to work with.

Kyle,

I’m working with epoxy-based glass laminate with a lower organic compound content. No fumes to speak of. I’m also using the vacuum all the time the cut is in process, both to clean the surface and to hold the dust down. I do have a set of organic filters on a face mask, but this cut only took 7 minutes, so the exposure was minimal.

If I have been cutting carbon-based laminate I’d use a lot more precautions as that stuff splinters much more than the glass.

One telling result: usually after I get done with a bunch of glass work I have a bunch of dust on my skin and I itch for hours. None this time!

Mike

1 Like

Nice, keep posting pics of the project.

Here’s the finished panel:

Front:

Back:

It took longer than I expected, but not due to any problems with the MPCNC.

Mike

12 Likes

Incredible use of the cnc and the panel came out excellent.

I have plans for the Woodstock and Duster sailplanes. Something about the fabric covered wood aircraft that I can just stare at the plans for hours. I’d probably have to settle for building just a model of a real one.

Would love to see a video of it in flight sometime.