as you have surely noted, I’m currently putting some effort in the achievement of free and open source solutions for the mpcnc for everybody (not only the cracks) by a series of (hopefully) easy to follow tutorials.
So far, we have grbl based solutions from zero to milled part.
However, not everybody uses ramps, not everybody wants to flash grbl firmware. So the missing piece which would allow everybody to use foss freeCAD togeter with their already in use controller & frontend would be to establish a preprocessor for FreeCAD spiting out marlin-mpcnc gcodes.
As this will make some work (although its more or less clear what needs to be done), and I’m peronally quite happy with grbl and bCNC, I would do this ONLY under the following conditions (for the good) - (please give some feedback what you think of it):
There have been several people stating they would be willing to pay if someone would establish a foss alternative to estlcam. I wouldn’t start it for personal enrichment, but for the good as follows:
- Ryan tells us how much we need to invest for him to provide an mpcnc for an educational project (e.g. at a school), let say X$
- There will be someone or even a set of people who promise (provided the parts by Ryan) to build and put into operation at that location, give some introduction to the people there.
- Several users donate a few $ such that Ryan get X$ for the machine parts.
- The project beneficiaries promise to a) test the new pp to achieve some confidence that everything works as intended b) take over the extension and updating of the FreeCAD mpcnc-marlin pp
- we'll establish a foss toolchain based on the great effort already put into marlin firmwar adaption for all the different V1engineering machines
- we'll establish some long term responsibles for the pp without putting more work load upon Ryan et.al.
If you think this is a good idea, we can find the right value of $X etc. I could start implementing the basic pp.