Frozen North Projects

Looks great. How will it be finished?

I think it will get painted black, and my wife wants natural wood numbers so I have some maple kicking around to use. Not sure how those will get finished yet but it will need something for the weather protection.

I’m open to ideas. I have a few finishes here already but I’ve not needed to do this much yet so still learning.

1 Like

Paint is the most durable finish. I was just curious if the letters were going to “pop” or just be that shape, but subtle. I would be tempted to paint the whole thing one color, like a dark green, and then let the letters just be hard to read unless you were really trying.

A maple inlay would be cool too. It would look great. I don’t know how well it would hold up though.

2 Likes

I’m at the whim of the “design team” here at home but as mentioned the letter will be proud of the surface. Either way it’s an improvement over our current one and was put in the honey-do queue as we have a new door coming in august.

The really nice thing about diy is after this first run, if I have any issues with the finish over time I can whip another one up on the lr2, over a weekend for minimal costs for wood.

2 Likes

Making some more moves. I gave up on the embedded numbers as I realized the over under sized holes and numbers would be fighting on the circle parts of the 8. Seemed much simpler to just cut another front face and do the numbers, then glue them on freehand ish. If I cant attach things in a level straight line I should probably step away from the tools.

Anyways, numbers are done, the box is glued up. Should just be hinging the top and paint from here now so off to the design team.

This thing is so much fun.

5 Likes

Well I picked up and finished this project this past weekend. Really thrilled with the outcome, and it received full approval from the design team!

5 Likes

I like your mailbox – Nice work. The big question in my mind though is “where does that down spout go?”

7 Likes

Neighbors flower bed​:smirk::smirk::smirk:window well

1 Like

Our downspout game is strong. But yep currently out and away from things… or maybe it goes forever…

d6bv49t-e418cf71-88fc-43da-8549-0381ed2e3fdd

4 Likes

It’s a down and out spout. Real Skid Row kind of thing…

Thought maybe you jumped on the Powerplant project…

2 Likes

Think of the pressure he could get if we all diverted our bath water his way😃

Hey - let’s make a CNC-machined alternator for diverse waterways power plants! I’m sure the effort will pay off when society collapses :hot_face: :cold_face: :mask: :face_with_thermometer: :crazy_face:

If I didn’t hate sheet metal, I would try to have a weird downspout, just to catch someone’s attention like that. I like it.

2 Likes

Add a water mill wheel…run a small gen…add blinking bits…

Just a quick hit here to hold some clubs. It’s so handy.

7 Likes

Are these the ones that are broken off about a foot above the head, after sending another ball into the water/sand/woods/upside-down?

In the case of water, they’re the ones you send into the water in pursuit of those balls.

Nah they’re holding my leftovers. Modern advances have made some clubs less useful so my 2 and 3 irons ride the bench these days as well as my pitching wedge as I prefer to hit a hybrid instead of my 3, no one can hit a 2 iron so I don’t bother, and I have a matched set of wedges down to my pw. Golf addicted in the frozen north.

A single joined our group last weekend and proceeded to out drive all of us with his 2 iron all day long. It was embarrassing.