G code help

Hello,
I’m got the Crown test to operate as should, which made my day! But… I’m a bit perplexed. I’ve tried to get estel cam to accept my file from draftsite using there g code generator with not success. So what I ended up doing was opening up that draftsite file in wordpad to see the g code text… so my question is what can I do it this point to get the tool paths sorted out and saved to the sd card so that the minirambo will run it on the lowrider.

Estlcam is a cam software, not a gcode sender(normally), you’d use repetier host to send the gcode to the board. If you want to use estlcam to generate the gcode, you need to export a dxf from draftsite.

1 Like

Barry is right on. More info in thw software workflow.

Not all gcode is the same though. Marlin doesn’t support everything and needs some hand holding.

1 Like

Okay,
So the g code text I was able to get off word pad doesn’t need to go to a cam software before repitier host?

Right.

Thanks for everyones help.

I did come across this with a little trial and error, but you can open and run a gcode file from the ESTLCam controller window. When the file window opens, you put asterisk-dot-asterisk in the file field so it will show all files, then chose the .gcode file you want to run.

Yes it is possible but it is important to recognize this may flash your controller with Estlcam firmware and it might not be compatible or work with all controllers like SKR. As far as I am aware very few use this gcode sender functionality of Estlcam.

Ahh, right. I do run the ESTL firmware on a UNO+CNC shield direct from a laptop. Sorry, I wouldn’t want to send anyone in the wrong direction. Especially when it may overwrite their firmware. :sweat_smile:

All input is appreciated.
So at the present time I’ve some how created my parts in draft site, exported them as a DXF. Opened it in Estelcam created tool paths and opened it in repetier host inorder to save to my SD card. Plugged it in to my LCD on the mill but the parts are being drawn in MM it appears. As far as I know all three programs are set to inches Which is what I’m wanting. So I’m wondering if Marlin on the mill is converting it.
Any thoughts?

Just change the settings in estlcam to output in mm. You won’t ever have to look at them, they will just be in the gcode that way.

Marlin can support inches, but it requires a recompile and very few people use it so I wouldn’t be surprised to find issues.

1 Like