Not to be a dick, but could you have cut clamping faces so you didn’t have to use 463 clamps of various utility?
In theory maybe but in reality it’s really messy…especially the larger the area your are clamping. the carlins are mahogany so you are pinning them first, then bending…and then at this scale there is a variation. That being said if I did this again I would use the plastic raptor staple or nail system on the hull bends (which are all painted) instead of clamps…
I think the lack of clamps is what’s keeping me from starting a boat build… yeah… that’s it…
I’m curious, could the fingers be 2 tiered such that they can lay partially on top of each other? Like half lap joint half finger joint. That would give a lot more surface area for glue.
Hypothetically I think yes but it would demand some extra precision getting that depth on the lowrider because the plywood is already thin: 4-6mm and as you cut everything starts to curl this way and that. I feel it would get messy. After trying to undo some mistakes and testing some joints I can tell you that the epoxy is stronger than the ply on either side.
I’ve never been much of a lake/ocean person but I’m suddenly struggling with the urge to get into the boat building hobby…
Looking good! Can’t wait to see it in the water.
That is beautiful.
I’ll have to look in to building a boat next year. This year’s extra budget have been filled with a travel trailer and new truck.
Watch out. It’s addictive.
Looks beautiful, and I see the slot for the daggerboard/keel. I feel bad for pointing this out, but I feel like there’s something missing. It is a sail boat, right?
I know this is a CNC forum, but is there any reason someone couldn’t put together a regular router template to cut those joints? Could you use a single template for both sides, or would it take two?
You would probably need two templates. The width of the puzzle joints vary in size based on thickness of plywood. I forget what the coefficient is. You can also just buy sheets of 8x4 from clc that have the puzzle joints at both ends to make continuous lengths.
Right so the plan there is a blue tarp and a 2X4.
we used a standard kerf joint when we built our sailboat. Cut it with a circ saw and a straight edge.
You may jest (or maybe you don’t), but on my Bolger Gypsy the unstayed mast was a couple of 16 foot 2x4s glued together and tapered with a circular saw and power plane, and I made the sail out of white polytarp following these instructions from Duckworks magazine. It worked well, looked nautical enough, didn’t break the bank, and took about 2 minutes to rig up. Anything that lowers cost of entry and gets you on the water faster is a win in my book.
Our mast was made the same way. 4 2 by boards glued into a box shape and then cut down to a point.
The boom was solid mahogany.
Meh, screw it… Gaff rig with a wishbone boom…