Help! Upgraded MPCNC with an LCD, now completely lost

Hi!

I am using:
Rambo 1.4 board
Dual end stops
Mac computer
Repetier desktop

Plugged LCD into machine, screen lit but blank. Wires switched around no difference.

Going through forums, I see the #define controller issue and define BAUDRATE.

I have lost a lot of data so I’m starting from scratch again. I don’t really know my way around the back end of electronics so really simple advice please.
Machine originally bought/built in 2017, haven’t touched this end of it since then.

I downloading Arduino again and installed the Rambo driver from reprap.org.
Installed ‘V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src.zip’
Opened Configuration.h file and changed the lines for controller and baudrate as advised here and here. Compile and Uploaded.

I then home the MPCNC and it doesn’t recognise the end stops, tries to keep moving when it’s at it’s origin.

Completely lost. Please help!

Are you able to trigger the endstops with M119?

Thank you, I didn’t try this. Will do.

Edit: Also, the LCD still didn’t work at this point.
Do I need to install all the drivers on the ‘Boards Manager’ menu in Arduino, or does it look like I’ve done this right?

What LCD?
Pictures of it plugged in so we can verify it is right?

The firmware from this site is ready for the LCD sold here and only that one, no edits need to be made. If you have something else edits will need to be made.
Firmware, https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/marlin-firmware/
How to flash it, https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/platformio/

PS if you bought them both from here you do not need to do anything as it should have worked out of the box.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan.

I can do photos tomorrow.

Both were bought from V1. Plugged the LCD out of the box and the screen lit up, but blank.

EDIT:
No extras running on my machine.

I followed all the instructions you linked as best I can.

Photo attached of wiring before the LCD was plugged in, I can get another one if needed. I appreciate you’re trying to help out people on this every other day.

EDIT 2:
This LCD, FULL GRAPHIC SMART CONTROLLER, BIG

Try flipping the gray cables. Sometimes the connectors are crimped on backwards so you may have to push them in with the key facing the “wrong” way.

Nevermind…you already tried that…

I didn’t flash the firmware as per these instructions:
How to flash firmware on the Ramps 1.4

I’ve only installed the Rambo driver from reprap.org

Will go back and try again.

Did you try adjusting the contrast pot on the lower left corner of the board? When it is out of adjustment, you cannot see anything on the display.

My boards don’t usually have the lcd plug shrouds. You need to take them off they are backwards for that LCD.

There are 4 combinations 2 are black, one is lit up, and one works.

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ll stanley blade the plastic guide off and try the combinations.

I have tried, but will do again. I got it a) lit up, b) black and c) blinking with a noise. I might have missed the working one.

Will try this. Thank you.

Make sure port 1 is to exp1, and 2 to 2. From there it is 50/50. Unless you flashed the board. If so use my links and flash the new firmware with platform io.

1 Like

I just wiggle them off with some needle nose pliers, blades can quickly ruin the board.

3 Likes

Sorted, thank you!

What I didn’t do properly (as far as I can tell!):

• Install the U8glib driver
  • Have the cables the right way around. I cut the tab off the plastic on the cable end and worked through the combinations.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

Platform io shouldn’t need the u8glib, but you got it working so that is all that matters!