I'm going to need more filament

Love this guy’s setup:

but I think I’m doing just as well by standardizing on the Harbor Freight small-parts holders.

1 Like

Yeah. I watched this video and I really like it. Good youtuber. I binged watch some others and they are some good vids.

1 Like

I like how he used the 3d printer to print jigs for the woodworking. I’m going to have to remember that trick.

We must be on the same wavelength @jeffeb3, started watching Mr. Chappel a week or two ago and he’s been my favorite youtuber since then.

I am just another brick in the (AI) wall.

I’m really thinking his sudden popularity is why he’s showing up in my feeds.

I’ve added him to my subscribe list and plan on binge watching some of his videos this evening.

I think I just picked a new project for this weekend too. I saved an entire half of the underside of my big 4’x8’ workbench to do something like this:

I think I’ll pick up some plywood and get to work with finally building it out.

1 Like

Alright… My design is done. My design will use 1 4x8 sheet of 1/2" mdf and 2 sheets of 1/8" hardy board. Looks like it should fit 4 of the large storage containers and 24 of the medium sized ones. I currently only have 2 large containers and about 7 medium ones, so I’ll have plenty of room for growth.

Just don’t put small things in those containers without a ziplock baggie or something like that. I know washers will migrate if you carry one by the handle. That’s why I upgraded my small parts containers to the newer Milwaukee containers in my work truck.

I pretty much never carry them by the handle. I open them on the bench and take out just the small container of whatever size I need and carry that.

I made good progress on my storage today. I have all the parts cut out. I used the MPCNC to cut most of the shelves, but I managed to break my end mill. I need to order more. Somewhere the machine skipped a few steps and tried to plow through one of my hold downs. It was doing pretty good until it got to the metal screw. The MPCNC cut 16 of the 24 shelves before the miss-hap. I ended up cutting the rest of the boards on the table saw and band saw. I just got new blades for the band saw so the hardie board cut like butter.

I’ll get pictures later.

#@@#*@&

Sometimes you make a mistake that well… yeah.

I totally missed on my math. What should have been 4 boxes long is somehow 3.5?!?!?! Looks like I’ll be heading back to home depot for another piece of mdf. What started off as a fairly cheap project now almost doubled in size. I’m glad I did a mock-up with clamps before I started gluing and screwing all the boards together.

You need the Mostly Printed Board Stretcher!

But then the material would be thinner. I’m already ‘getting by’ with only using 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4".

The mistake cost me an extra $20, so it wasn’t too bad. Plus now I have lots of MDF for playing on the MPCNC with.

Here’s a couple of pictures.

First, here’s the area where I’ll be putting the shelves:

Here’s where the oh $h!t moment occurred:

Here’s what one bay will look like fully stocked:

And last, here’s where the shelf currently stands. It also has all my current boxes showing how much room for growth that I have. I still need to put the top on it.

3 Likes

The OCD happiness is firing on all cylinders looking at that.

For the shelves… Are you just using hardboard? How well does that support a pretty full container? I have several of these and I’m trying to figure out how I want to design my version of this whenever I get to that.

I used 1/8" hardie board. I had the same concern, but the more I looked at it, the less I was worried.

I used 1/8" dados for the boards to slide into on both sides and a 1/4" deep dado on the back. The boxes have little feet in the 4 corners, so all the weight of the box is transmitted to those feet. Since the feet are right next to the dados, all the weight is transferred directly to the vertical boards. One of those medium sized boxes is stuffed full of kregg screws. It’s the heaviest container I have and looking at the picture you can’t tell which one it is. I also left only the bottom row for the largest boxes. Those should be the heaviest.

I also only used 1/2" MDF. I wasn’t too worried about the bottom flexing because the entire thing will be sitting on another 3/4" MDF base.

If I were building a stand alone shelf, I would use 3/4" MDF. I would then use 1/4" deep dados on all 3 sides for extra support.

1 Like

That’s a fair point about the whole load being applied near the dadoes/supports… Didn’t consider the feet making that happen.

To save on costs I was thinking of building the whole frame out of lumber I have laying around and then sliders on the side for the support of each box. Your’s definitely looks a lot nicer than that would likely come out, and less issues with things falling through possibly.

Here’s some more inspiration for you (and where I got the idea)

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289281

Got it painted last night. Waiting for the last coat to dry. For the record, the paint & primer spray paint that walmart sells is crap on MDF. Way Way too thin. Took a bazillion coats and did not go on evenly at all. The paint was more to seal the MDF than anything else, so it’ll do.

And, since we’re all WFH now… I installed it during my lunch break.

4 Likes

Hmmm. I imagined you were taller.

6 Likes

My mini me turned 7 today.

Yesterday he finally decided to learn how to ride a bicycle.

2 Likes