Increase in size

Just to verify this is the greatest cnc machine on earth…

If I need to extend my x axis, I just get longer pipe and belts, add supports…and…I’m…done?

yes, what im read in this forum, max size for primo is 3’x3’

Oh no, u can go alot bigger. Just trade offs to include speed and accuracy. I may actually build another one instead of increasing sizes. I’m at 2 foot by 2 foot and it runs great, but people like bigger flags sometimes so a 2x4 foot would be nice.

If you are going to consider building a bigger one, have you looked at V1/Ryan’s other CNC, the LowRider? If you go bigger with your MPCNC, there are a couple of mid-span supports on Thinkiverse.

1 Like

Yea Ive been comparing options, but I’m really impressed with the primo build. I have anither large cnc I’m not happy with, so I’m planning on converting that, but for doing 2x4 foot flags, it’s hard not to just add 2 feet to my primo ya know?

I hear you. If you do go to 2x4, I’m sure the forum would appreciate hearing about the results of your adventure. With the proper layout and management, it is possible to cut something 2x4 on a 2x2 machine in two passes.

Yea Ive done the multiple pass thing for years on a laser, it works, but when it doesnt, the people around me can’t unhear the words I speak. Honestly I may just stop being lazy and build a lowrider.

i think the lowrider is a great option, especially if you build it with the 4’ span and only 2’ length, then when you decide you need to do even larger flags you can just build a bigger table :wink: plus then you could shorten the tubes on the primo and use it for cutting metal or other small hard/accurate projects.

just throwing some thoughts out there :slight_smile:
have fun!
-Atom

1 Like

I agree. I’ve been toying around with the idea of doing a 4’x2’ lowrider with the 4’ section being the gantry. My reasoning is the same as yours. If I ever need to do full sheet, it should be trivial to get a longer table, but would be more difficult to redo the tubes.

1 Like

Sounds like you have the room to swing 5ft of tubes and don’t care about the table, so how about you just let the tubes hang out the sides and make 2ft the gantry length. Either way, if you choose later to go full sheet you need a table solution, but this way, until then, you get the extra rigidity of shorter effective tubes.

As for the 2x4 primo, I’ve done it, and 4ft is a lot for the longer axis. I posted a video somewhere of the tube bouncing back and forth like a spring on a moderate cut. That’s 0.1 inch wall DOM. If you have the funds for thick stainless on at least that axis, I think that might be interesting to evaluate, but I have no way of guessing whether it would be better.

2 Likes

Well. To be fair. My original thought was to do a 3’x4’. Having the 4’ be the gantry. Then figuring out a way of doing collapsable wings hanging off the 3’ side to get up to 8’ when extended. For now, I think a goal of just getting a 2’x4’ one built and working would suffice.

2 Likes