Jeffeb3 Low Rider Table v2

Dang that is actually a good point. Adding a bit of a baffle or heck even just a front plate to that vac might bring the noise down a lot.

Are you going to do drawers or like box inserts that can just slide all the way out? Knowing you, you are probably almost done with it already.

Hope the build is going well if that’s the case. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I am like forcerouge with preferring taller workbenches. While there are times we have to heft a heavy price of stock up there, that is usually only a fraction of the time we are hunched over the table clamping things down, tightening bits, setting up probes, etc. For me a taller setup makes that hunched over work much easier.

One of the things I like about this vac is that it is pretty quiet. The only vent it needs is the output tube. I def. Don’t want to lift it through the top though. That would require a lot of strength. A door is not it of the question.

I haven’t started it. I don’t have quite enough long pieces, so I am debating buying more plywood or strapping together shorter pieces.

For the sake of stating the obvious, can you just move the vac somewhere else? Outside in a small cover area or up into the rafters with a lowering pulley system? Looks like you have some unused space above your head.

Why would I do that? I am excited to get the vac into the table.

But also, the rafters are where I out the bikes. The cnc is in the garage, not in the shop.

I think it will be fine for the record, you just have options.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing, what vacuum are you using? My work shop vac is loud, and I have been looking for a quiet air mover to replace it.

1 Like

I didn’t actually buy it. It was left here at the house and wasn’t new. We moved here in 2009, so my guess is that it is at least 20 years old.

1 Like

It has been quite cold the last two weekends. It might be 50F tomorrow, so I snuck out and cut the major pieces of the frame:

Maybe it will be warm enough to glue some of this frame up tomorrow.

Check out this one board. I think it got this way when I was cleaning up the rust from my table saw. Some combination of rust and vinegar.

2 Likes

If you could only replicate that finish a couple more times, that would be really nice.

You can: How to Make Furniture Look Old: Ways to Distress Wood | Architectural Digest

Yeah. I wish. I like the look of it a lot. This particular board isn’t long enough to be anything but a span and it won’t be easily seen.

IIRC, it was something like the solution was dripping and splashing on the floor onto this board. Something like that.

Just staining it is one thing, but I like the way it transitions from black to white too.

1 Like

Could probably be done if you could spray the tea on and have it fade away. I’ve played with this in the past and it’s the tannins n the tea that react with the vinegar solution and cause the darkening.

1 Like

From the looks of all that white stuff on the ground… just stick the ends of all the boards in the snow and spray the top. Let the spray work it’s way down the board into the snow. The drips should melt different distances into the snow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks both of you for the ideas. I think I will just buy 3 more craiglist table saws and have to rehab them. That will at least give me the three legs. Plus, I can add table saws to the garage, basement and office.

4 Likes

If you’re going that route, make one of those TS a jointer and the other one an old bandsaw. You’ll have rust for days and days and days.

2 Likes

I’ve seen finish recipes using vinegar and steel wool to get that kind of coloring.

2 Likes

That is basically what it was. But it was a cast iron table saw top instead of steel wool. I made a slightly bigger form, covered it with a garbage bag, put the top in upside down and covered it with vinegar. Then the next day I attacked it with some tools. I was trying hard to keep it flat (so no coarse sand paper) and remove the surface rust. It worked well. I have a post about it:

I have the major carcass pieces cut and the two big frames assembled. I used nails and a nail gun instead of screws. Tons of glue.

I was hoping to get it more done before the work week (which starts Tuesday for me) and there is a snow storm coming in. But I have to watch the kids today. Maybe during their afternoon nap, IDK. My 3yo daughter was ok with the glue and nail gun (can I pull the trigger, Dad?). But the next step probably involves me cursing a bit and dropping the frames on my head.

3 Likes