Jfsknight's build thread

I’ve had my MPCNC built for a year, finally found time during the pandemic to get the electronics hooked up including firmware flashing, and have done a few learning projects milling basic shapes with a DW660 spindle and lasering with a 2.8W diode laser. This is the first thing I’ve made that I’m proud to show off.

I followed Ryan’s drag knife instructions to cut this out in vinyl and etch it on the glass mug as a present for my dad. The mug was $1 at DollarTree, $20 of glass etching cream which will last a lot of projects, and maybe $2 of vinyl and transfer tape.

My plans for the machine are to carve wood, engrave and cut thin plywood and foam core with the laser, vinyl signs, and glass etching. I’ve got the laser dialed in I think, but cutting through 3mm plywood is taking 20 or so passes. Once I tweak my air assist laser mount, I’ll post it on Thingiverse. I’m thinking of adding a mattress air pump in addition to the radial fan and am looking into cutting on plexiglass and using a lattice under the material.

I love the versatility of this machine. Can’t wait to build the Primo, but first have to make some room for it.

6 Likes

That jar of cream lasts a long time. I am pretty sure I am still using the same one. Super fun to give ultra customized glasses to people.

2 Likes