Keeping pipes from moving about

Hello. While trying to square things up, I cannot stop my pipes from moving in a diagonal fashion.

It is difficult to explain. One of my trucks has an issue where its bearings do not properly touch the pipe. Furthermore, the Core-bearings on that side do not properly touch the pipes they should.

But even the pipes of the assembly where bearings properly touch pipes move about, as I’m able to jiggle the pipes about in their clamp-assembly, causing trucks to move simultaneously and independently of their opposing trucks. And of course, I can’t clamp tighter, because this is just plastic.

Is this a common problem, or did I miss a step somewhere?

The not touching is an issue. Flexing the plastic is always going to be possible. The trick is, how much force would cause it to move how much?

First, you need to fix the issue of the bearings not touching. That backlash is always going to give you trouble.

But once that is done, hanging a 1kg load (or even a few kgs) would be plenty to measure normal loads on the bit. The bit should be hungry for the material and there shouldn’t be much load on the bit at all.

Okay. I’ve got the bearings touching, after re-reading the directions a few times.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about with the bit, as I’m not near that part yet. When I try to rotate the core, the pipe/rails go out of Square, though, almost like they’re not clamped down and moving in the clamp area.

I give the pipe I’m holding a rotate,

And what results is the X and Y trucks moving. This seems like it would be Anathema to squaring. Unless the treads help. I haven’t installed those yet.

Is that expected, or what is the best way to fix that?

I’m not entirely sure I understand you, but the the trucks aren’t large or rigid enough to hold the moving gantries square without the belts and stepper motors. When the power is off, you can hold one end of a gantry and move the other an inch or so.

The fancy solution is dual-end-stop homing. The low-tech solution is to make some end stops that are square, and push the gantry against the stop before you switch on.

Once it’s on, the motors at each end of the gantry move together and keep it square.

1 Like