Largish Dining table and benches

Somehow, the words “In” and “Auger” come to mind…

That’s why one of the first things I did when I got my license was take a few hours of aerobatic instruction which taught me spinning can be fun. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s all fun and laughing, then it’s screaming and exploding…

Kind of a good description of life in general :+1:

4 Likes

I second this. For reals yo!

This guy posted on the v1 facebook group yesterday, he’s using the lr2 to put these campers together.

1 Like

I built a teardrop camper by hand back in 2010… Man, I wish I had my lowrider then, it would have made the build process much easier.

3 Likes

i love it! i would never say anything negative about the lowrider but it can be a crutch in terms of avoiding other woodworking skill sets. the boat got me out of my comfort zone and i’m sure this did the same for you.

1 Like

It did. I grew up remodeling homes, wiring, plumbing, carpentry, etc. It’s been so long since I had access to a wood shop that I’ve forgotten a lot of skills I used to have. I have the tools now, and finally have a space I can convert, so I am in the process of getting everything into one place and building a shop again. The Lowrider was the excuse to get me going.

1 Like

I saw a flight of 4 long ez aircraft fly overhead this morning…
I’m not sure where you’d use a cnc building one of those, but I’m sure it would have it’s place 8^) (although I don’t think they sell plans for them anymore…)

I’m loving the OZ Goose build.

I’ve been wanting to build a small sail boat for years, and just recently realized my Lowrider could be REALLY useful in that pursuit.

I’ve concluded that has to be my next big project. I’m pretty much set on the Ilur design from Francois Vivier. I had decided that was the design I wanted to build and went to his website to look into buying the plans, when I discovered he will sell the CNC cut files too! That totally clinched the deal for me. I’ve already started pricing the marine plywood…

I do have to finish roofing my new 600+ sqft covered porch first though…and rebuild my Lowrider for full sheets. 8^)

2 Likes

Yeah, we need another Burt Rutan! Personally I’d like to see a 2 seat composite LSA. From what I remember, the greatest use of CNC on the EZEs would likely be hot-wire templates for the airfoil sections. I’ve been totally unsuccessful seeking a partner, could probably swing an Ercoupe on my own but cutting maintenance $$$ in half would be a major +.

The Ilur looks neat and I can certainly see the attraction of CNC files being available. :grin: Had a friend years ago with a glass production version of a Point Jude. For a simple looking hard-chine hull it was pleasantly fast. Prior to that he had a Jet 14 that was a lot of fun.

3 Likes

You guys MAKE planes???

All I can is whittle you a willow flute! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

So far, only a false start. Built the vertical stabilizer for a single seater but my heart just wasn’t in it. No sense terrorizing myself if I can bring someone along. :upside_down_face: Just kidding, one of things I’d like to do is participate in the Young Eagles program that takes young kids for free airplane rides and shows them there’s a whole world outside cell phones and iPads. But costs keep soaring and my broken income doesn’t so I may have to settle for a wooden kayak or something.

1 Like

That’s more in my league!! I like your thoughts about showing kids the beauty of the outside world.

1 Like

It bothers me when I read how so many kids don’t even care about getting a driver’s license these days. Maybe I’m just old but I grew up with skinned knees and assorted minor owies, and enjoyed every minute!
I may have to search CNC kayak plans, plenty of water where I am. I’d look into ultralight aircraft but I live on the coast and the almost constant strong breezes would likely limit the use.

There are provisions in the US regulations for “Experimental Amateur Built” aircraft. I don’t know what the European (EASA) regs allow, but I’m aware of a few designs with European origins (Falco, Jodel, Emeraude…)

I have plans for a “Bearhawk” 4 seat design, but never got started building…

I have flown (with the owner / builder) a couple of cool home builts, like the Van’s RV8 and Lancair 4P. The RV is fun, but I’d probaly kill myself in the Lancair…I seem to have about a 100 knot head and that’s a 300 knot aircraft.

I’ve given some kids rides with the Young Eagles program. It is fun and rewarding for all involved usually. There are still kids interested in such things.

One of my neighbors kids is interested in helicopters, so I’ve offered to take him to see the air medical helicopter I maintain, though he seems more interested in military Apache gun ship types… 8^)

1 Like

The Vivier designs are def classic and beautiful.

i’m sure you are aware of them but there are a couple of other cool cheap plans by michael storer. i had my eyes on the goat island skiff and the viola 14. Plans & Kits - Plans by designer - Michael Storer - Page 1 - Duckworks Boat Builders Supply

they seem to be a much better upwind. plus you can get the sails fairly cheap from “real simple sails”. sailmaking is an art which i draw the line in dabbling in.

i have my eyes on building this next: The Hadron H1 singlehander dinghy by Keith Callaghan
an interesting single-hander take on the merlin rocket – a beautiful classic from the UK. unfortunately the high tech hardware, mast and sail will probably be a nightmare.

but then that’s why i appreciate storer’s work. he bridges the old and new in terms of how the boat both looks and functions while making that the whole process financially permissible…something that is really hard to do with sailboats!

anyway, i just wanted to throw those thoughts out there.

When I was a kid we used to go to McGuire AFB for armed forces day, I would have happily stayed there for weeks. One of my Dad’s crew mates from WW II had stayed in the reserves and took me into a hangar at Bradley Field CT once and sat me in the cockpit of an F-86. That was probably 55+ years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. The bad news is when I was working towards my license in the mid '70s a Cessna 150 was $19/Hr wet and I had a decent job at the time. Now a similar plane last time I checked was around $120/Hr wet and the decent job is long gone. :scream:

Thanks for the links. I was aware of the Goat Island Skiff, but not the Viola or Blue Lightning.

Those all look like cool designs, but would appear to require more active/athletic sailing than I’m up for (noting the guys hiking for all their worth in both the GIS and Bluelightning links)…I’m looking for a more sedate sailing experience. 8^)

I always appreciate learning about other options though.

The financial feasibility is certainly an issue, but the current pandemic has reminded me that; while planning for the future and retirement is important, one must also remember to live for today…because tomorrow is never guarantied…also, I’m single, so only need permission from myself. 8^)

1 Like

I ligit built my lowrider to build a catamaran. Havent started yet, but its in the planning stage.

2 Likes