Laser engraving - not really getting great results

I found this: post

Which was referenced off this one: https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/mini-rambo-and-ttl-laser/

It’s a bit out of my comfort zone though despite the confidence I gained with the MP3DP setup. I need a “Remapping pins for Dummies” thread I think. Although post #34605 a little further down seems pretty cut and dried (I think the link above was attempting to take me there but it took me to post #34544 instead which confused me). I think it’s worth a try. Agreed?

I emailed the GitHub link for the firmware to Jay, maybe he’ll have time to peek at it and see where I need to look (thanks for the double reply Jay, really appreciate it).

Kelly, I could be wrong about needing to switch to the laser enable pin. Guffy is brilliant once again. If Enable_Fast_PWM is enabled in the firmware you are using then that could be to problem more so than the Fan pin verses the laser enable pin. I just don’t know if Fast PWM is enabled in the Firmware Ryan loaded on the mini Rambo for you or not. If it is then this could be an easy fix.

I’m just rewatching the video I used when tinkering with the files on the MP3DP to refresh my memory on how it all goes. I’ll let you know what I find in here once I plug it in.

I checked my firmware and that Fast PWM line is already commented out. There are some other suggestions in this thread I’ll try and some things I’ve thought of and will report if it makes a difference.

Okay. Question. Can I pull the current firmware off the board to check it or do I have to start fresh so I have a file already on my hard drive before going into Arduino?

I didn’t get the email for some reason. Where is the link to the github site you are using? I can search for it, but want to make sure I have the exact one and not just pull from the main marlin repository.

You will have to start from scratch unfortunately. The hex file created and loaded into the arduino is only in machine code.

Jay

My email is (in)famous for heading to spam. Kinda annoying. You’d think GoDaddy servers would be a trusted source but I guess there are enough spammers running through their servers that it’s flagging me from time to time?

Following the link from this page: https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/

Here’s the firmware I’ll be grabbing: https://github.com/Allted/Marlin

I THINK it’s the right one even though it’s “for RepRap 3d Printers”?

There are a few other changes I’ve read about (just cosmetic changes) I’d like to make one day so it’s good to start fresh.

It’s commented out by default so the only other question before I flash it is are there any changes that need to be made specific to the MPCNC or just flash it as provided from the repository?

[attachment file=“Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.32.01 AM.png”]

Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-11.32.01-AM.png

Yes, there are a few settings that need to be tweaked like acceleration etc. Might be easier to follow Ryan’s Instructions below. On his page he has a link the the Github repo with all his tweaks. He also has all the instructions you will need to reflash the Mini Rambo.

https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/

Agh. I’m such an idiot. I didn’t scroll…thanks Aaryn.

…and now, staring at a blue LCD screen I wonder why I even touched it if that line was most likely already commented out…

I did something wrong somewhere here…Followed instructions line for line with the one exception of changing the baud rate to 115200 (Mac user). Is there an “undo” function? : )

Hold that thought. I was using 1.8.X

[attachment file=“Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 1.39.21 PM.png”]

Will this be the issue? I thought the version I downloaded from the repository (Marlin) was 1.5.X or something like that.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-1.39.21-PM.png

No. there isn’t an undo but the LCD shouldn’t be too hard to get running again.

Find these lines of code in the Configuration.h

//
// RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller
// http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller
//
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Make sure this last one is not commented out.

David, if you don’t mind,what are your acceleration and jerk settings?

Got it. Thanks. I also saw the BOARD_RAMPS_etc line. Does that need to change to MINIRAMBO?

I am not 100% sure if what I am pointing you to is Marlin Version 1.1X or 2.0. So I don’t know what version of Arduino you will need.

But I clicked the same firmware link I shared above. I saw the Link that says Github Pre-Configured Versions.

From that page I used the version selector to choose this…

[attachment file=“Github marlin.PNG”]

When I open the Configuration.h in that download it says…

// The following define selects which electronics board you have.
// Please choose the name from boards.h that matches your setup
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MINIRAMBO
#endif

Learning every time I turn around. Definitely not the file I grabbed. Mulligan forthcoming - after the kids and I go for a swim (meaning hot tub). It’s been about minus 30 here for almost a week. Even an ice carver hides from that stuff!

Dentist appointment this morning… ;(

I was so hoping Jay’s FAST_PWM_FAN setting was going to be the culprit… thanks, Jay, for the help!

I’m using firmware downloaded from the V1Engineering site on my machine… ye ol’ MPCNC813_GLCD. Fired up the MPCNC, connected with RepetierHost, and dumped the current EEPROM settings… and it all appears to be the default values for acceleration and jerk

[attachment file=87781]

2 Likes

We used to go to the hot springs in the winter. Was a fun run from the cabins to the springs when it’s -40. One guy left his callouses from the soles of his feet stuck to the concrete leading up to one of the pools. He didn’t notice until he jumped into the water. The water is spring fed, so lots of dissolved minerals, there was screaming… :lol:

Okay, thanks for the direction Aaryn. Got the CORRECT firmware. Boy when I learn something I really get to learn something…

So I’ve tried both ways…following step by step with Ryan’s firmware instructions which say to open Marlin.ino after including the libraries which opens a new sketch which doesn’t appear to include the libraries AND opening the the.ino file first, including etc and writing. I get errors now. Here they are:

Arduino: 1.8.6 (Mac OS X), Board: “RAMBo”

sketch/src/lcd/dogm/u8g_dev_ssd1306_sh1106_128x64_I2C.cpp: In function ‘uint8_t u8g_dev_sh1106_128x64_2x_2_wire_fn(u8g_t*, u8g_dev_t*, uint8_t, void*)’:
sketch/src/lcd/dogm/u8g_dev_ssd1306_sh1106_128x64_I2C.cpp:117:29: error: ‘U8G_SPI_CLK_CYCLE_300NS’ was not declared in this scope
u8g_InitCom(u8g, dev, U8G_SPI_CLK_CYCLE_300NS);
^
sketch/src/lcd/dogm/u8g_dev_ssd1306_sh1106_128x64_I2C.cpp: In function ‘uint8_t u8g_dev_ssd1306_128x64_2x_2_wire_fn(u8g_t*, u8g_dev_t*, uint8_t, void*)’:
sketch/src/lcd/dogm/u8g_dev_ssd1306_sh1106_128x64_I2C.cpp:185:29: error: ‘U8G_SPI_CLK_CYCLE_300NS’ was not declared in this scope
u8g_InitCom(u8g, dev, U8G_SPI_CLK_CYCLE_300NS);
^
exit status 1
sketch/src/lcd/dogm/u8g_dev_st7920_128x64_HAL.cpp: In function ‘uint8_t u8g_dev_st7920_128x64_HAL_fn(u8g_t*, u8g_dev_t*, uint8_t, void*)’:
sketch/src/lcd/dogm/u8g_dev_st7920_128x64_HAL.cpp:111:29: error: ‘U8G_SPI_CLK_CYCLE_400NS’ was not declared in this scope
u8g_InitCom(u8g, dev, U8G_SPI_CLK_CYCLE_400NS);
^
Error compiling for board RAMBo.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

One more thing. Tried to find Arduino 2.0. Best I could find was 1.9 beta. Is it 2.0 on the windows side?