Looking for an explanation...

So, when attempting to draw with a pen I would manually control the machine in Repetier to determine the starting place. However, upon hitting print the machine would raise an inch or two in the Z direction and attempt to draw the design in the air. BUT if I follow the same steps and hit “Emergency Stop” while setting the pen depth, It prints perfectly. Is there something happening to the G code when I hit that emergency stop? Is this just something you always do before drawing/printing? An explanation as to what the difference is would be great, thanks! By the way the machine was purchased off of this website.

You need to move to where you want it to start then hit emergency stop or disconnect and connect to set that position as your 0 otherwise wherever the machine is when you start repetier is your 0. I had issues with this too because I am used to the 3d printer which has end stops and homes itself at the start of every print.

That’s because Repetier remembers. So before starting a job, it moves to the position it was before you use the manual control buttons.

Send a G92 X0 Y0 Z0 before you hit start and all good.