Loose Roller Question

I know that this must look like a duplicate of @Simon’s post from 4 days ago, and I’m experiencing the same symptoms but I’m guessing from a different cause (the roller where I’m seeing this currently has all 5 interior bearings).

I’m doing my first ever MPCNC build. I bought the kit from V1, I bought Lowe’s 3/4" EMT conduit and I did the 3D printing in PLA on a Monoprice Maker Select Plus 3D printer. I reached the stage of assembly where one tests the assembled rollers on the rails and the instructions say “There should be tension when inserting the rail and all the bearings should touch”. This does not describe the situation I’m in, it’s like there’s almost a millimeter of play. I can fit slide at least 4 or 5 sheets of paper in between the rail and one of the bearings.

I measured the conduit diameter with a caliper, and it’s 23.3mm, and it seems pretty circular (rotating it in the caliper isn’t showing any significant deviation).

So my questions are:

1. How important a mistake is this? Where does it fall on the continuum from "no big deal" to "stop building the rest, you're wasting your time until you address this"?
  2. How exact is conduit normally? Is the 0.2mm difference between my measured 23.3mm and the nominal 23.5mm likely the cause?
  3. If it's not the conduit, then I assume it must be the 3D printed parts. I can print them again, but I assume doing the exact same thing again will produce the exact same outcomes. Worst comes to worst I can just buy the parts, but I'd prefer to DIY it. Does anyone have experience with that - 3D printers just scaling parts up and/or down?
Thank you!

If you print a 40mm cube, is it 40mm in all directions?

1 Like

Yes it happens all the time for the imports. Check with a cube as Barry suggested.

1 Like

@Barry and @Ryan - Yes, thank you. I got a digital caliper that goes out to 10s of um and did some re-measuring. The “40mm” cube actually measures 40.53x40.18x40.21mm. So it looks like I’ll need to calibrate that. I also did a circuit of Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Menards (the three big-box home improvement stores in my area) and it looks like by my measurements, the outside diameter of 3/4" EMT vary between 22.2mm and 22.6mm.

Okay, so it looks like I’m about to go look up how to calibrate my printer, and once I’ve gotten in printing 40mm cubes, I’ll give this another go. Thank you guys!