Low no mo'... Sawtooth shelves as my last last Lowrider project

I think I am going to invest in some earmuff with Bluetooth or something…ohh wait, I have some noise-canceling ones that might work. I NEED to try this today. They should let enough through so I can still hear if I break a bit, but I still get to run around bobbing my head while I bag hardware.

Why have I never thought of this before…Feel pretty silly right now.

2 Likes

I always use my Bose QuietComfort when using the CNC, I also have the Apple Airpod pro which the noise cancelation is not as good as the Bose.

I have the over the ear bose, they work stupid good. I will try them later today.

1 Like

I’m not sure that noise cancelling is a great idea when dealing with stuff loud enough to damage your hearing. I haven’t ever read that anywhere. It just seems like if they are sending the opposite wave form to cancel it out, and the regular wave form is enough to damage your ears, then the negative would be too.

I have some ear buds that are meant for a gun range. They are pretty comfortable for a long time, have bluetooth, and they have a microphone for letting you listen to someone talking to you, but clip it so you don’t lose your hearing from a gun shot. They are called “Walker’s Razor”.

1 Like

That makes sense, I am pretty sure I looked at the walkers, I will dig into them. I should do something to protect myself.

1 Like

Wait Positive plus a negative = zero?? Shoot no I am super interested to try this.

That would be super cool if they work that way. I always just thought they matched the frequency to scramble it out, but relied mostly on blocking the sound to a manageable level first.

1 Like

I believe that is correct, as it does not eliminate all the noise.

When I was still playing the drums in a band my mom had customized plugs made for me where I can swap the dampener, different -DB values. It makes everything quieter without eliminating the sounds. Pretty dope and well worth the prize tag. They look similar to this (random pic from the internet):

4 Likes

It has been a very long time since I read about them, but that is how I thought they worked. The noise you still hear is because they can’t perfectly reproduce the negative sound. All the magic is in the processing to create the negative sound wave fast enough to match what you are already hearing. Things like constant tones are a lot easier. Choppy noises like a hammer are not damped at all.

My combination of those exact machines runs at 48 dB but I have my dust collector motor in the rafters in a closet (doorless currently). I can still hear podcasts at regular volume when running Cnc projects

I can hear my shop vac on the other floor and across 2 rooms. I use it sparingly

2 Likes