LowRider 2 -Italy

Hi Antonio,

Sorry for my late reply, I was out the whole day. Sure, write me in private, it’s a pleasure if I can be of any help with your project. I have accepted your friendship request. Let’s proceed.

ciao

Francesco

1 Like

Hello Francesco unfortunately I believed that with the request for friendship I could write to you in private but I can not find the right section… There is only the possibility to send public messages…

Antonio,

Here is my personal e-mail address:

frminio@mac.com

Feel free to address me your requests here.

ciao,

Francesco

1 Like

Feel I need to post an update on my build.

Everything works smoothly finally.

About the Z-axis wiring I was right. It really needed to be done back again from scratch. I found pins badly crimped (too much, and too little) . In the process I neatly checked all wiring connections between Rambo board and Steppers.

In addition to the above, as on the Z-axis I had installed 2.5Amps rated Stepper Motors I could amend the firmware to provide them more current. Specifically, in the Configuration_adv.h file I increased Z-axis value from 120 to 255 as follows:

#define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT { 120, 120, 255, 120, 120 } // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A)

The machine is working smoothly and I am finally on tracks for the productions line.

Francesco

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am glad to post an important update about my machine.

After I finished my built, few months ago, I could start cutting and climb the learning curve quite smoothly. Nevertheless I experienced an annoying trouble on the z-axis coming randomly loose and dropping at mid-prints.
While troubleshooting, I entirely replaced the harnesses and removed a bunch of connectors. No luck with that though. In parallel I decided that I needed to have the dual stop and the motors wired in parallel, taking advantage of the Rambo 1.4, five stepper motors’ ports.

There I got a surprise. The z-axis issue was still present. Need to say that I was trying to cut, during summertime, with very high ambient temperatures (up to 37 degrees Celsius), and that made me wondering if the Stepper Drivers were not getting too hot (DRV 4982E have an upper limit around 167 deg. C).

Ok, so I cooled everything down, improving the performance, but still not fixing the problem still. My z-axis motors were powered with 1.5 A (2.5 motors), but the z-axis was still missing steps. In particular at one side, but also depending on the gantry position (nearer the gantry higher the steps lost). Having the motors in parallel, I could swap and witness the trouble migrating from one axis to the other. Bingo. The trouble was in the Z stepper driver (really unlucky!!!). Ok, so my Rambo needed to be replaced.
I did upgrade my LowRider2 with the BIGTREETECH SKR V1.4 Turbo, equipped with a gorgeous BTT TFT35-E3 V3.0 coloured touch screen. The end stops are still not in place but the machine works as a charm, no more z-axis dropping down and finally feel confortable in going for the big and heavy duty work this whole project is about, right from the start.
I want to let anyone know to keep in touch if any help is need in setting up this configuration (LowRider2 + DualEndStops + BBT SKR 1.4, firmware tuning etc. etc.

ciao,
Francesco

4 Likes