LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.2)

Printing!

I tried to print a new lid. Something went wrong. I’m going to try again tonight when ^^^is ready

Hey, I did not make any changes to the lid. No need to print another unless something was wrong with the first one you had.

I had the old lid with only 2 holes.

Ah, got it. Sorry about that.

1 Like

One possible option: measure, mark and drill holes in the old lid to accommodate the new holder.

1 Like

I had a couple of bumps on my road yesterday… used wrong stl, printer not working right, to much work to do, extra rehearsal of my musical group…

Just started another try, now with the right stl, to print the tft holder.

@DougJoseph no need to be sorry!

Will try to make a hole marker this afternoon or tomorrow.

It fits like a glove now!

The holes in the back of the tft holder for turning the upper screws of the screen were missing in this version. I had to drill them myself.

Right now i am printing a drill guide to drill new holes in the lid.

1 Like

Ugh, I forgot to re-add those access holes! Sorry. Will fix that. Glad all else was good.

1 Like

Neat case, cheers for sharing, looks popular.
Recommend printing with PLA, PETG or something else?

Anyone using full, or partial sheet metal cases to avoid/reduce need for fans?

1 Like

I have fixed the accidental lack of access holes. Accordingly, I have updated the listing on Printables to remove the “work in progress” tags and to finalize the listing as a usable set of parts. Many thanks to @kockie-nl for collaboration on this, which increases options for other LowRider 3 makers everywhere. Also, @kockie-nl, I hope it’s OK that I used some of your latest pics to illustrate the TFT holder on the listing.

https://www.printables.com/model/235351-lowrider-3-cnc-control-box-case-for-btt-skr-pro-12

PLA is great for this. I used the same print settings (same number of perimeter walls and percent of infill) as for the majority of the LowRider 3 printed pieces.

1 Like

The fans may not be totally necessary. Likely are not needed. Ryan’s original design does not call for fans. You could make this and just ignore the fan inlet and mount holes, or you could remix and delete the holes. I personally like the added air flow.

1 Like

Note: I have now posted the NON-E3 version of the case and TFT holder in its own listing available here: LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 (NON-E3) touchscreen (v1.3.1)

For any future feedback re. the NON-E3 version, it should probably be given there as opposed to here. Thanks @kockie-nl again for your collaboration.

1 Like

Are the .step files available? Would like to shed some weight, print time and heat. My single Ender3 has to run slow to be reliable. Fusion (free) loves to hang when converting mesh to body, can’t handle all those triangles :man_shrugging:

Air flow sounds good and heat dissipation in general, saw other posts where folks encountered drivers overheating causing jobs to unexpectedly pause/fail. Bought couple of Noctua fans via your link, cheers!

1 Like

Are you asking regarding the TFT holder only or all the files?

I used SketchUp Make (free 2017 version, which is still downloadable from the software company’s site).

I can provide the SketchUp file(s). Export options on the free 2017 version are sorely limited. Only other available export options are COLLADA (.dae), and some Google earth format.

I notice that the export option offered in SketchUp Make 2017, which is COLLADA (.dae), is an import option supported in FreeCAD. I also see that FreeCAD can export to STEP files.

So, is the COLLADA (.dae) file format helpful to you? If so, are you asking for the E3 version or the NON-E3 version?

I did a bit of testing, and when I export from SU 2017 to “DAE” file format, I can open the exported file in FreeCAD, and it looks right. However, I when I try to export to STEP format, I get a bunch of errors and the resulting file is only 2KB, and seems to be not a usable file.

Doug, I like your out of the box thinking, thank you for exploring export options. I’ll keep fighting with Fusion for now.

Am new to LR3, so I downloaded several box model options to help visually grasp differences.

Like your ventilated box with integrated controller and TFT, helps enable tidy cable management, definitely a cleaner look. That said, with my existing 3040, having a corded control to nudge/tweak position while closely eyeballing the bit has been helpful at times. Guessing wired remote via corded TFT will be helpful with my 5’ gantry. But hey, this will be an ever evolving project, so am building a skinny remix of your integrated case for now. Will share .stl/.step files if I get anywhere. Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you for the .dae offer, I’ll try to work with the .stl files for now. Am using TFT35-E3 V3.0.1 ordered from V1E when I bought a LR3 kit.

1 Like

It would certainly have “pros.” One “con” is what happens with all the extra length of ribbon cable when it is put away. One cool idea that I had just now was a “retractible” ribbon cable. But it’s literally just a thought at the top of my head, not anything intended as a seriously workable proposition. Not sure if it would be a healthy thing for the cable, but maybe.

1 Like