LowRider CNC- Full sheeter

For sure, though there is a lot of efficiency that could be gained by moving to a distributor system… Flat rate really cuts to the heart of the matter: volume is more important than weight, and standardized packaging minimizes wasted volume.

Following! This looks great. I can’t wait to get my hands on these files. Thanks so much for these awesome creations!

Here’s another me too for the low rider. I’d love to help beta… :slight_smile:

I would love to see a Kickstarter, but I still want to print my parts. That’s my favorite part. I don’t want you to buy molds though, I want you to work on the designs. Maybe a Kickstarter for your new printer idea. You can have inexpensive, low level donors receive a trinket that’s easy for you to make, and the higher levels include your vitamin kits. With different levels of total support, you add more bonus stuff. Maybe more features or something. Maybe you can get some cash, for your salary, you can buy all the vitamins at once, ship them all at once, and then release the STLs (with CC licence, on TV or GitHub), and start another Kickstarter for your MPEspresso machine.

It’s OK to charge to more for the vitamins in a Kickstarter than they would be able to buy the kit from you, or from Amazon. It’s half supporting you, and half getting what I need without hassle.

I would also support you on patreon. I bet others would.

The open source thing, at least for me, is 100% critical. I wouldn’t have done any of this if I couldn’t print my own parts, and I would not help (as much help as I have, which is maybe not much) if it was not open source.

If you want to make it difficult for amateurs to remove your letters from the STL, emboss it in a curve. That is a PITA. You should also put the CC logo for no commercial on there.

One more thought on business models… I know this is a bitter pill, but what if you go the E3D route and just let the piracy happen and just always stay a step ahead with some hard-to-reproduce widget? They make a ton primarily because people get tired of the crappy knockoffs and pay ridiculous amounts for the real thing.

Thanks. I really wish I would have minored in business…although I probably wouldn’t have went all in on this little venture if I did.

Loving the feedback, A successful business is a priority so I can keep making things. You all have me thinking about this more seriously now. I just kind of figured it would all fall into place as it comes along, but I am learning it takes a lot of work to keep things working smoothly.

Patreon seems cool, they do take a cut, but what kind of premiums would I include? I would hate to exclude anyone because they aren’t giving me money. On the donate page I have updated it with various was to help support this. At the same time paypal does have a subscription payment system, I have a monthly donation that I am very grateful for, they do take a cut as well.

As for the lowRider I spent so much time yesterday on the forums I never made it to get material. I might cut some mp3dp parts and lowrider parts to get them ready for sale on the site.

Just make sure what ever business model you choose that you cover your costs. You should look into something called value added costing. This system figures out true cost of doing business so you margins can be in line for sustainability.

G

Thanks for everything. Looking forward to the low rider even though I probably won’t build one for the apartment. The MPCNC makes too much noise / dust as is ha

Alright sorry for the lack of updates…It got super crazy with orders right after Christmas. Christmas money I guess.

I have most of the parts in that are needed. I still need to tweak the plastic parts a bit and label them with the site or logo or something.

I know a bunch of you want to beta test it but I want to try and release this thing real soon. So is anyone ready to build a table and the machine? Meaning do you have access to a CNC router to cut out a few pieces and a printer or two to print pieces. I don’t have build instructions yet so I can provide pics only at first. Also…Things might change so no getting pissed if I revise the same dam part 8 times. I’m looking for just a person or two that can get it together and make some test cuts. There are still a few tiny bugs to work out. I think I have all the “hard” to get parts in stock but you will need to get the nuts and bolts on your own for now. I don’t want to place a large hardware order to find out I need everything .25" longer or shorter.

So if you think it will take a month or two to get around to it the beta test isn’t for you.

I am going to try and update the firmware and cut out a full set of mp3dp parts right now…all at once…so crazy. It took me hours to learn fusion and get all the CAM set up last night.

BooYah!!! About an hour long cut, 6.6mm HDPE, 13mm/s 3.3mm cut depth with a .5mm finish pass, 1/8" 2 flute downcut bit. Flawless! Being my first serious fusion 360 tool path I am pretty stoked, and the LowRider killed it. I have to double check the plunge rate but it was too high for the downcut in this material.

The parts have an amazing cut finish and are extremely square.

I didn’t think I needed or wanted a full sheet cnc…Well maybe it’s time to ramp up production of some kits because this thing makes big jobs sooooo much easier.

I took some video, it is pretty boring because you can’t really see anything but the machine moving. I’ll upload it tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

What are you using for the spoil board?

Looks good!!

How is it compared to the MPCNC in terms of rigidity? I don’t have time or room to make another full sheeter, but I’d love to beta test an MPCNC retrofit on my 4x7 build if you end up making one.

I made the table a little more than 1/2" thinner than I wanted so I could use that Styrofoam house insulation as a spoil board…it’s awesome. $7/sheet and I offset it with 1/2" molding under the wheels. Pretty ideal I think.

It is kinda odd, it does not seem as rigid as the MPCNC but cuts better. Maybe the weight of the router helps damped vibrations.Not sure about that.

I have to say anything bigger than 2.5’ this is the way to go I think. I built the MPCNC as a cnc for small parts, 6"x6" tops. Turns out I kept making it bigger. This thing though, jeez I am a little impressed, I thought it might have to cut slower because of it’s size…nope it can handle much faster I think. Pretty sure that was at least 1/3 faster than I do with the mpcnc because of the depths I used and that was with a very old bit, the first downcut I bought, I thought for sure I would break it so I didn’t wan to lose a new one…cheap bastard. This was the first large cut and it was super dead on. Very easy to use. I will be cutting one of my MPCNC’s down for sure now.

The damn day I start printing parts for the MPCNC and I see this, which is what I wanted all along. (over excited reaction)

I need to get something built very soon as I have work waiting that I can’t delay any longer.

You asked for beta testers with access to a 3dPrinter and a CNC, how many/what type of parts need to be CNC’d?
I might just ask the local guys to CNC them for me.

P.S. Can provide engineering based feedback.

Maybe the next one should be the high rider, and is suspended from the ceiling, like this camera gantry. Then if you were short on space, you could just throw the sheet on the roof rack and park the car in the garage ?

Hey Vicious1,

I have been working on a mod of the MPCNC that also had a double Y rail setup similar to yours in the last couple of weeks (just scribbles on paper mostly). Very cool.

Can I get in on the alpha testing ?

@PJM
Files are on thingiverse now.

@Jeff
I was just watching that video this weekend! I’ve seen something similar built with garage door tracks.

I just have to chime in here. We have the low rider, the high rider and I present to you the wall rider.

wall rider

Not sure if I can post this here. I am in no way affialted with these guys… I love my MPCNC and have started printing the Low Rider.

Now I need to buy a 3d printer. Time to go shopping for one and get this thing printed and built. This is EXACTLY what I’ve been hunting for … hunting for years! Much thanks, and I’d be more than happy to purchase all the parts through you to get you some profit. However I can support the development of this!