Mach3 with MPCNC

Hi everyone. I just completed my MPCNC build and have been playing around with it using Repetier Host. The program is alright but I’m used to using Mach3 and Vectric. I was able to get Repetier to work with Vectric but I want to know what it will take to get my machine to be able to run with Mach3.

I am a complete newbie with this sort of stuff. I’ve used machines already set up with software before and this is the first I’ve ever had to work with software and boards etc. So for a complete newbie, what would I need to do in order to get my MPCNC hooked up to Mach3? Right now I am using the Rambo 1.4 board pre flashed with Marlin from Ryan and no duel endstops.

Thanks in advance for the help!

You need a controller that uses Mach3. It’s possible.

Since you are a newbie, and have it set up, I’d try CNC.js first on a Raspberry Pi for control. It might do exactly what you want without having to invest in more control interface. Just a rPi.

2 Likes

I mean I don’t think I’d have much trouble getting my CNC running well with Repetier Host. But I need to figure out how to center my Gcode onto the workspace in the program. My projects will have several tool changes which will need to be done. My process will be to set the machine to the lower left corner with the z height set fairly high. Then power it on so everything is zero. I’ll have my work piece set in the center of my workspace on the machine and then move the spindle to the lower left corner of the work piece. Then I’ll drop the Z and space it with a piece of paper and use code G92 to set all zeroes. I’ll start the cut from there. Once the code is done, I assume the tool will go back to where I set my G29 for X and Y and I assume the Z will go back up to the position where I started when I initially fired up the machine. From there I will do my tool change and start the next gcode.

But again, this will only work if I can get the digital gcode centered onto the digital workspace on Repetier. I’ll attach a photo to show the issue I’ve been running into.

1 Like

This is the issue I’ve been having with Repetier. How do I center this? If not centered, the machine will try to go outside the workspace and need to be emergency stopped. That’s what I’ve been running into

It is in your CAM. You need to set the origin, or home, or zero in your cam.

1 Like

Oh, now I reread your original question, and that’s what you’re asking… I don’t know Vectric.

You could use a G1 command to move the XY a specific amount and then set zero.

G1 X100 Y120 F600
G92 X0 Y0

2 Likes

Yeah I finally figured it out! On Vectric I set my origin in the center instead of the lower left corner. Issue is solved, I set up another test run using the engrave tool path on Vectric on an 8.5x11 workpiece. Set the machine zeroes at the lower left corner of the paper and it’s perfect now.

I now see as well that I’ll have to reset the Z zero for every tool change which won’t be an issue. I think I’m just about ready to get this thing dirty. Thanks all for the help! Great community of people here.

3 Likes