Makita router mount & dust boot - now on Thingiverse

So I bought a Makita RT0701C and I want a solid mount for it, so I’m going to remix the quick-release Bosch mount. I want to accomplish two goals, provide solid clamping force but also increase cooling for longer runs. My thought is to redirect the downward fan air up the outside of the router through channels in the mount. Here’s an early mockup. Do you think this will work?

2 Likes

Slick idea!
The hinges are nice but hard to print, I would suggest just printing it at the right size with a small pinch bolt location, or in two halves.
I think it will work as long as you don’t impede the airflow too much. The stuff coming out is the exhaust and is carrying a lot of the internal heat with it.

That will be interesting to see how it works. I have a Craftsman trim router that works great. It blows out the cooling exhaust from a port on one side. I’ve been wondering if I can design a duct to convert it into a little chip removal. The mount is in the way at the moment but putting ducts like you have is a good idea. Won’t have a lot of force but it does has some volume I can work with.

I’m already using this design for my off-brand zip, and the hinges print fine with supports (using Simplify3d). It is two pieces, I just have them joined for the picture. :wink:

1 Like

Some progress. The back piece is completed, I think. have the front piece mostly ready but I need to decide if I want to attach the vacuum connection to it or just directly to the base. There’s small holes in the bottom of each air shaft that can either be used to connect a bottom plate or drilled out (or enlarged) for some downward dust clearing airflow if not using a vacuum.

1 Like

Gave up on the small holes idea and added larger exhaust holes in the back plate. Doesn’t make enough of a difference and I’d rather mount the vacuum plate to the XY system to keep it from flexing the Z. I have a plan for a quick release cam for loosening/adjusting the vacuum plate. I like this idea better, the plate with brush stays at the same level while the router moves up and down.

early beta version available now on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4017521

2 Likes

Back part and new nut traps printed and installed, tested clearances. Only a few mm distance between the router and the XYZ joiner, which is perfect.

2 Likes

I realize that it removes the easyish method of changing tools but I’m going to set up a second motor and conduits for other parts. It’s a lot faster to remove the whole Z assembly and drop in a new one than removing and rebolting something new on.

1 Like

That’s how I do it. Have two z assemblies, one with the 500w spindle, the other has the dewalt on it.

1 Like

Maybe that explains why I get orders for a single extruder once and a while. I had no idea why that might happen…thanks, mystery solved.

1 Like

I had a look around and I think a variant of this vacuum shoe is going to be ideal for my clamp. I may make one with a brush eventually or just a strip of fabric. I will see how it works.

Just move that upper hose support all the way down to the top of the gantry or you will never get accurate cuts.

It’s not connected to the Z axis at all, and the threaded rod is connected to the top and bottom bolts that hold the XY piece to the XYZ piece, so it should be okay. I will probably do as you suggest though if I do add the upper support and set it to maybe an inch or two above the top connection point, just enough to have the vertical movement needed. I ordered some brush material but it’s on a boat from China probably so I don’t think I’ll see it until the new year.

1 Like

Same effect just connect it lower and it seems like a great dust shoe.

I was just thinking the same thing. Even if it isn’t attached to the Z axis itself, if it’s on a long threaded rod, it’s still on a long lever… :thinking:

1 Like

Exactly. Early days I kept telling people no Z axis mounting and added it to the instructions, everyone started doing this stuff. Yes it is slightly better than a Z mounting but only by a tiny sliver of a fraction better. If you need slack give it a turn and mount it directly to the gantry, from there is should then be mounted to a corner, stepper or overhead. A vac hose hose hanging off a table has a HUUUUUGE load associated with it.

Lever lever lever. lever… 1, 2, 3, 4… WTF? Why did my previous post decide to that the word lever need to be censored? still on a long lever… :thinking:

Crazy-arsed forum software…

Doesn’t look sensored to me. What The Lever!

Unless you’re not trying to write lever… Like when she says “fork” on the good place.

1 Like