Mostly Plasma CNC

Hi everyone, like a lot of folks I thought a plasma cutter might be fun. But first things first let’s see some hot plasma and sparks:

My initial motivation was that sheet metal parts are “quick” and “easy”. Also, a cheap plasma cutter is like 250$CAD. If the EMI blows everything up, at least I’ll still have a plasma cutter. This was enough reasoning to begin 4 months of anguish.

I think most people are aware that there’s a lot of EMI with a plasma cutter. What isn’t explained is that EMI is a problem that is very difficult to track down and that you will go paranoid and mad trying to reduce it. I kept a log of all the cut I tried and it is in the 40s of attempts before I got anything to cut.

What did eventually result in cuts working was:
Physical Shielding:

• Shielded cable for all steppers
  • Star connected grounds
  • Shielded control box with shielded internal boxes for the arduino (grbl) and rpi.
  • Double shielded USB cable between rpi and arduino
  • Ferrites on anything that looked suspiciously conductive.
  • Ziptied the plasma and ground lines together to reduce antenna loop size
  • Separate the plasma from the controller as much as possible. I’m doing plasma on the left, controller on the right.

Software (GRBL + cnc.js):

• Run the job with 0 z-offset.
  • Get the metal relatively flat and then auto-level (great cncjs extension) to get the torch snug to the surface.
  • Added a 250ms delay after the M03 (torch trigger) command

What I considered doing but luckily it started working before I had to :

• Use a completely different (ethernet/etherCAT) controller
  • Organize the cables in the control box to separate power and signal, 90 degree crossings, maximize separation etc.
  • Buy a plasma torch that definitely is blowback

Some unanswered questions:

• What type of plasma torch do I have? I really do not know. It is certainly a cheap Chinese import plasma by the name: Reboot RBC-4500 aka CUT45. It claims to be a “touchless start”, there is no external wire I’ve seen on HF systems. If you look into the air tube there is a little bit of copper so that’s definitely used for some sort of starting arc. Hypertherm says they invented blowback by using a moving electrode. There appear to be no spring elements in my torch but I have no real clue. Is it a blowback in disguise? Couldn’t say.

Hopefully this inspires some more people do mostly plasma CNC setups. Plasma is fun and cool!

Just some general tips:

• Do not plug in your plasma machine until you are absolutely ready to hit start and run the job. There is a lot of water and electricity going on and you are made of water.
  • I redid all my connectors while I was adding the shielded wires. I think as long as you’re careful with the crimps dupont connectors are fine but I did a bad job with the crimping and replaced everything with JST-SM or XH and haven’t had connector trouble for a while. For tiny wires under 16ish gauge I like to fully fold the conductor under the insulator now.
6 Likes

Man that’s some great video! I’ll have to wait until my new shop gets built, but I’m headed this way, too.

Sounds like you missed dui’s thread. He went to great lengths to describe what a pita it is to track down and shield everything from EMI. If anyone else is considering this, please go find it.

Bet it feels pretty good to cut steel parts, though, now that you’re there.

Thanks turbo! Do you have a link to that thread or maybe some more keywords I can search for? I’m still getting an occasional issue where starting the arc kills my arduino and causes it to reset.

I think it was “mpcnc made in china”. Maybe someone is watching this and knows for certain. @forcerouge maybe?

I believe this could be the thread for anyone in the future. My MPCNC made in China - #176 by forcerouge

Specifically post 186 describes the problem I’m having:

Only the firing phase seems to pose problems, if I never release the switch between different paths, then it continues to cut perfectly fine.

Extremely similar to my problem, except my Arduino seems to completely reset when the arc starts. It forgets what g-code file is loaded in cncjs. I’m hopeful that some power wiring changes that I’ve just done might make it better.

1 Like

Yeah, the arduino resets when the arc starts, and eventually it dies.
The solution for me was to ground all the motor carcass, maybe try that first and see how it goes.

I ended up fixing a different issue with my setup which I believe helped with the arduino resetting when the arc starts.

I’m using one power supply with multiple output voltages. When I turned on the 24V power for the stepper motors my arduino would reset. You ever notice how every time you google something like “my raspberry pi is acting funny” someone suggests to check the power supply? Yeah…

In fact my rpi could handle a bit of voltage dip on the 5V supply and keep the cncjs server going but the arduino that was connected to it would die. There was such a power dip that the led light on the rpi would turn off, which made it really easy to troubleshoot once I noticed it. In hindsight it’s pretty obvious the power draw in the steppers would cause the 5V supply to also drop but it took quite a bit of fiddling to get there.

I think the high current draw from starting an arc was causing a similar issue so for now I have put the plasma cutter and the control box on separate breakers. I also put a very fat cap on my rpi 5V power supply (4.7 mF) which keeps the voltage up when the steppers are turned on.

I haven’t done that many cuts with the new changes but the last 12 starting arcs haven’t reset anything so fingers crossed.

3 Likes