MPCNC add-on DW660 mount with vacuum attachment

I’m just getting started with the build of my MPCNC and I don’t know the difference between all of these mounts. I did buy the Dewalt 660 and thus far have printed out this mount http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2018477 to go along with the universal tool mount.

I like the design you have and the dust collection… not sure I fully understand the air jet post but would like to watch this and learn more — any advice to share to a beginner I would appreciate it.

Hi Kris,

The DW660 mount you posted is for a quick change z axis mount (aka hickwick’s universal) which is not the standard in the MPCNC parts list. I did not go with the hickwick’s mount as my base because I am milling about 95% of the time…no need for quick change. Also, I had rigidity concerns.

The air jet mount is the standard machine-side half of the lower mount modified to aim compressed air at the tool bit when it is cutting. The purpose of the jet is help cool both the chips and the tool bit and to blast the chips off the bit and out of the curf. I designed the jet and the dust shoe to work together. The jet blows the chips toward the dust shoe and the goal is for the dust shoe to suck up the chips.

Yea, that router mount is a little too floppy. The idea is there, but plastic isn’t stiff enough. If you’re just printing, lasering and plotting, it works great.

Thanks Kris, I hoped you would find this thread. I didn’t want to give the wrong facts so I just didn’t give any. I need to try your blower mount.

Tom Cole - my 3d printer is sitting idle so I wan to print your parts along with the standard mount by Allted.

Do I have everything here in the picture.

I am wondering if it would be better to print the mount with the air jet since I am just starting out… can always add that later right? If so, what about the dust shoe as well?

Do I need to scale any of these parts? I am printing in PLA + and should follow your .2mm layer height, 3 perimeters and 20% cubic infill settings

Ok. now I think I may have too many parts…

You can either print the nozzle in the far upper left or the one towards the right of your board. Both are where the bottom of the vac tube will connect to and ‘suck’ up your work. So you have the choice of either the nozzle in upper left or the full shoe looking guy to the far right.
I decided to print and go with his v4ish design i believe which is the one to the far right vs the nozzle in upper left of your board. I plan to put some door brush sweeps around the shoe and hopefully have it brush the workpiece while doing its thing. I may have to slightly modify it for my needs.

Neil

Also, if you go with the full shoe model to the far right you will no longer need the piece in the lower left lol (from my understanding). I have all my parts printed just need to install. I can take a pic of mine tonight if you are not in a hurry. Otherwise filament is cheap print it all and see which design works best (who knows I may end up going with that 45 degree nozzle in the end). Have fun with it!

Neil

Well my print is almost complete but the parts look small…I sure hope they fit. I didn’t do any scaling.

This zip file contains all the stl files I am using on the the vacpipe DW660 mount setup WITH the dust shoe and air jet.
Meaning these are all the parts that I am currently using AT THIS TIME on my machine, and nothing else.

The coupler adapts the PVC pipe to a vacuum hose with a 1 1/4" tapered end.

All the parts I have printed are with PLA. 3 perimeters, 4 top and bottom solid layers and 50% rectilinear infill at 100% scale.
If you use ABS, you may want to scale them up a percent or two depending on the brand you use and how much it shrinks.

DW660_vacpipe__dustshoe_airjet.zip (658 KB)

2 Likes

I was planning on changing my dewalt out for a 400w spindle but since I have this printed up and working I’ve decided Im sticking with the dewalt :slight_smile:

Did some serious lexan milling tonight. The air jet and the dust shoe together are a big improvement over the my former setup, the tapered nozzle and a hand held jet. Not only did I just get the cleanest cuts of lexan yet, but it didn’t look like it snowed in my shop afterward. I’d say an overall 80% reduction in clean-up time is a fair assessment, and the rails and belts were clean, which was a problem before.

However, too many of the chips are still getting away. I am pretty sure I can improve things much further with a brush around the dust shoe. Need to source something for that.

This was enjoyable to watch. Before, it was not uncommon for lexan chips to gall-up on the bit, eventually making swirls on the lexan along the tool path. This did not happen tonight. The chips peeled right off the bit while it was cutting.

I can finally mount my DW660 today… looking at the parts from Tom… the lower parts are a given for me how they mount… but the upper… not so sure as the higher up on the DW660 the parts don’t even grasp the tool.

Also is there a certain orientation for the DW660 or just anyway you want to mount it using these parts?

The bottom holes of the lower bracket line up with the lowest holes of the Z tool mount and the top holes of the upper bracket line up with the highest holes of the Z tool mount. The DW660 is not round where the upper bracket grabs it, so there will be some space where the labels are located on the DW660.

The top bracket sorta looks upside down when it is mounted.

What are others using for air supply? Do I need a compressor?

I was thinking maybe a bubbler or just mounting a fan.

I have been working on the dust shoe again. I finally redrew it so I could add a brush. Made a short video to show the progress. The brush is from McMaster Carr (my favorite webstore!) found here https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/1320/=18hi79n

Here’s the video.[youtube]https://youtu.be/inDL6U0E-FY[/youtube]

1 Like

So I caved in and put it on thingiverse. Seems like the best way to manage it.

Great job Tom! I like it. Looks well designed and thought out. No doubt you will make it better with a little more testing.

I gotta say I love this setup. I installed it immediately when I got my MPCNC setup and the difference it makes it huge. Granted the only way I can tell is by turning the vacuum on and off and the air pump on and off butboth make a big difference. I purchased a small airbrush compressor from harbor freight and it works great with this setup. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing it with the community! I am hoping to mimic the bottom mount and have a little larger hole for my vacuum so it doesn’t put as much stress on it but other than that I love it. If you happen to be willing to share the cad files please let me know. I will immediately send back any modifications I make so you can add them to your thingiverse listing.