MPCNC - laser problem

My name is Johan and I am relatively new to this with CNC and laser.
I have encountered a problem that I wonder if anyone knows how I can fix it.
The problem is that I do not get a correct image when I engrave, for example, a filled in text. The laser engraves outside the imaginary line and becomes blurred.

I have the following setup:
MPCNC with jtech laser
Rambo 1.4 with Arduino (dual endstop, lcd …) update 2020.07.19
Lightburn 0.6.14

Am very grateful for support
// Johan

Johan,

It looks like there is a lot of “wiggle” in the X axis. Have you tried the “Crown Test” with a pen? That would show if the slop is in the machine, try plotting over the same image twice and see if the images align.

Another possibility is that the Z axis is wobbling, or the laser mount is loose.

Just a few ideas to check.

Mike

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately, that’s probably not the problem.
When I engrave with only lines / contours, the engraving becomes perfect even when I engrave several times.

Try turning off overscan. That feature is desiged to start the laser early and let it run long. Your laser may not need that enabled.

1 Like

It looks a little like the laser issues we were having a while ago (around version 418, IIRC). The solution was to switch away from the laser for a while and use the fan port, with M106/M107. Then the laser mode got fixed upstream and v509 was tested by Ryan. You might update to v509 and try to pull in the changes to the laser from the skr or rambo builds.

I will give it a try this weekend.
Thanks

Jeff,
I’m in the same boat as Johan. Could you please explain what part should I pull over I’m running ramp dual 2.0.7.2_509 .
thank you in advance.

I did a diff between the configuration_Adv.h files of the Rambo firmware vs. the Ramps firmware. These images are the laser related result (Rambo on the left with laser enabled and Ramps on the right):

In addition, you will need put these two defines somewhere:

#define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN                 45  // Hardware PWM
#define SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN                 31  // Pullup!

You can put them at the top of configuration.h or in the pins_RAMPS.h file. These pins are on the AUX-4 header. Not sure if these are all the changes or not, but it is the obvious ones.