MPCNC V2 to Primo

Hello all, I have been using my MPCNC for about 4-5 years and love it. I want to expand the types of projects to more robust cutting and engraving. Which is why the Primo was designed I suppose and would like to convert from V2 to Primo. From what I see I can use the same controller and some of the bearings from my current V2(it has had an easy life) I would like to know if anyone has made this upgrade. I plan to print the parts myself but wondering what else I will need or recommendations.

Looks like Primo might be using larger belt and pullies. Just looking for shopping list for what I will need.

Congrats on the 7 Year Run! what a great journey and success story. Keep up the great designs!

Regards, Bob

1 Like

From anything before a 525 version it has changed substantially. You will be able to reuse your steppers, control board, bearings and a few bolts. You will need the belts, pulleys, idlers, leadscrew, coupler and about half the hardware. All the printed parts will be new and the rails if reused will be a different shaped work area.

There is no update list from each version. Each version also had a few revisions. The most expensive stuff is reused, though.

1 Like

Great to know I can use steppers and control board.Thank you as usual for your quick reply, I will get a parts list going and get printing. I will get order list and get hot!

Regards. Bob

If you get stuck upload a picture of your build so we can figure out which model you have and we might be able to help a bit.

OK Ryan got all my parts printed for Primo and starting to harvest what I can from V2 MPCNC 23.4MM. I think steppers, controller and most hardware will transfer. I did notice Primo uses larger belt. Can you confirm this, and I see it in your store. So looks like I need idlers, pullies and belt.

Anything else you can think of…? Thank you.

Going to disassemble old one and start building Primo so I will see what I still need and place order soon.

Yes, 10mm belts pulleys and idlers.

Hello Ryan, do you sell just the bolt sets for the Primo don’t see them individually in the store. Looks from my quick my inventory I will need those as well. Got the MPCNC v2 torn down and helped a buddy put his Primo together on Thursday, this stuff is awesome fun and worth every penny. Can’t wait to start on mine! and this forum is fantastic…thank to all that contribute. Thank you, Bob.

1 Like

Sorry, I currently do not have buts and bolts separately. The update should not need too many (we have a list in the instructions), local hardware stores should have what you need.

No worries just thought I would check. I will place order shortly. Happy Holidays and Happy New year. Regards, Bob

Hello Ryan, figured I would go to the source. I have a 52 MM spindle and would like to use it again on the Primo. The V2 MPCNC have the tool mount and I noticed the Primo has the two separate tool plates. Can you point me to a 52MM spindle mount I saw yours with dust shoe and is that the current iteration. Also should I print a new tool mount plate or just go with the two separate tool plate with mount. Question would be I guess if I plan to attach other tools, pen holder, drag knife, maybe laser. So guess the tool plate with all the nuts in it would be the way to go. Is the tool plate the same for Primo? Thanks for assisting. Regards, Bob

Found this information for the spindle mounts front and back.

GitHub - V1EngineeringInc/MPCNC_Primo_Tool_Mounts

Looks like back mounts through itself to Z tubes. Thanks

@Ryan

FYI, the Kobalt mount isn’t listed here.

It is here, and this one works. It is the one I have.
https://www.printables.com/model/632967-kobalt-mount-for-the-mpcnc-primo

I had a friend print that one for me also. I just wanted to let Ryan know since Bob was looking on github for the mount and someone else might look there too.

No the Primo doesn’t work the same way, you always need the small plates and the tool mount itself, that old nut plate is no longer used.

Remember you don’t have to build a square. The machine doesn’t care. As noted above, the problem on structure lies in the gantry itself. The outside ‘frame’ can be very stiff, but if you have a super wide X, there’s going to be some sag. Buuuuuut, if you remember that it doesn’t matter what shape you build… I’m built(building) as a rectangle for that exact reason. I don’t need LR levels of Y, but I need a bit longer than the recommended MPCNC. I’ll have recommended strength in 1 direction, probably a support in the middle of the other, and my gantry will be normal as well.

1 Like