My attempt at a MPCNC Primo Plasma cutter

Don’t worry. Before long your 2 year old will be a 16 year old welding new rocker panels on his truck next to an open plastic jerry can and you’ll wonder what that bright twinkling light is in the shop from the comfort of your lawn tractor until it dawns on you WTF he’s actually doing. This is also when you discover that your lawn tractor doesn’t move fast enough.

5 Likes

On bigger projects that have alot of pierces, I lose z steps . I’m trying to make a sign for my father in law that says Hestons woodshop. It does “woodshop” first but when it goes to do “Heston’s” my plasma cutter has a considerable gap from the workpiece. Tried to pause it and adjust the z manually but program froze a letter or 2 latet. I know the programming is correct, ran fine with cutter turned off.

Saw your latest videos. Congratulations! It’s working well!

I found with my old plasma cutter that if I have the nozzle touching the work-piece, I go through electrodes like crazy. I find I have to keep the nozzle about 1mm or 2mm from the work-piece. I notice you’ve got yours set to make contact.

So is that just an attribute of my cutter or are you also going through nozzles like they’re going out of style?

Things have gone a little south on how well it’s working. It did work pretty good at first, but now the memory card disconnects and sometimes the programs go haywire. So far I haven’t had time to figure that mess out.
I have “drag” tips on my torch that have a small stand off milled into them. My consumable life does seem short, but I don’t have enough experience to know what normal should be.

Where I thought I was losing z steps, I got caught up on over thinking the situation. My Z slide springs aren’t suited for what I am using them for. The slide just needed pushed down. I wasn’t sure until I reviewed the video.

I’m a big fan of Octoprint. No SD cards in my life. https://octoprint.org/

There’s even an XBox controller jog-control plugin. https://github.com/OutsourcedGuru/OctoPrint-Xbox I’ve had it working but then broke it.

The drag tip on my Everlast didn’t last for ever. In fact, it managed to get itself welded to the first thing I tried cutting.

1 Like

I’m still having trouble with my memory card losing communication, but I did get a new electronics enclosure built yesterday. Nothing new to really report besides I have a video reporting as much.

I am curious how you shielded your lcd screen. I keep losing communication with my sd card, also it opens the menus while cutting. Like you pressed the thumb wheel. I added capacitors to the lcd and Ramps to help smooth the power.

I’ve put the arduino as well as the screen in a metallic enclosure, so it acted like a Faraday Cage

1 Like

Is your maching a high frequency machine?

It was. I had to switch over to a low frequency plasma cutter. I had too much trouble otherwise with the electronics going crazy.

can any of you please help with Marlin FW config? I just need to know what to change on my FW that is already working on a MPcnc milling setup. @81Ls1Camaro video explaining it, I cant see what you changed and your utube links in description bk to V1engineering web reference is broken.