Need some imput on a LR3?

New here,Hi.
Going to be building a plug for a car. Its a Porsche 908-3.

I have a DXF file but having trouble finding some one to cut them out.
It will be like 12 sheets of 3/4" MDF.

So I was thinking of building a LR3.
It looks to be in the range of 1K ±.

With that being said what do you think it would be to have it cut out ?

If the cost to cut this out is about the same would it be a good idea to invest it into my own LR3 ?

Thanks, Randy

2 Likes

Well, if you pay someone to do it you’ll have that one thing, if you build an LR3 you’ll have an unlimited number of rabbit holes to explore. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks, like I need more rabbit holes. LOL

1 Like

Seriously though, if you’re going to build a car you’d likely find many more uses for a CNC machine other than the plug.

2 Likes

Think about all the parts you’d like to have fabbed up. Wouldn’t it be nice to design and test them for fit and function in mdf or cardboard? Get it just right, THEN send it off to the laser or waterjet cutter for the final part?

2 Likes

What do you think the learning curve will be ?

If you have a reasonable working knowledge of computers in general I wouldn’t think it too bad if it’s something you really want to do. Ryan and his Beta Team have no doubt done a thorough job on the machine’s design and functionality and if you look through the ‘Advice’ section of the forums you’ll see there’s no shortage of some very competent people who are willing to help if you hit any snags. And if you look through the ‘Things you’ve made’ section you’ll see these are some very capable machines that you can construct yourself at a very reasonable cost.

1 Like

Here is what I’m trying for.

2 Likes

Are you planning a full-scale replica or ???

Full scale.

Neat! I think you’d likely find uses for an LR3 on a project like that that you haven’t even thought of yet.

…but if you teach a man to fish, you’ve fed him for life.
Learn to model!
All cnc services charge way less for machine time than modeling time. Learn how to make their lives easier by downloading Freecad and watching some youtube videos.

1 Like

Trying to rap my head arount Fusion 360.
I’m 71 and it is coming very slow.
Most of the videos are by people that all ready get it.

1 Like

Been thinking about a bench top,maybe like Paulk’s. I have a build table for chassis.Its 10’ x 4’ steel .

Think it would be a good base for (2) 32" x 117" x 6" Paulk boxes.
Was thinking about storage of the LR3 work top. When not used I could put it against the wall ?
Think this is a good idea ? Any points to add ?
Thanks

1 Like

If running a CNC interests you and you can think up a dozen projects that you could build on it then a LR would be a great way to build the project and have a new useful toy in the shop. There isn’t much completion in the sub $1000 full sheet CNC game and the LR is a great choice to learn on.

If this is a one off project and you just want to get the frame built then perhaps a makers club or local community college with a shopbot is an easier path. Many offer CNC training webinars on their equipment and many also do classes on the CAD stuff too.

That training would apply to the LR as well should you decided to build one.

2 Likes

Printed my first part for the LR3. Very impressive.

2 Likes

If it sounds appealing to you, do it.

Start simple. My favorite example is learn how to make a pair of dice. So much to learn there. Keep making them over and over until you think…“these are too easy, perfect everytime, I need more” It take a bunch of learning to get started. But the basics will get you 90% of any project you will ever need. that last 10% is just making things look fancy.

I keep diggin deeper and deeper into programming (I prefer CAD). But you know I feel like I am learning a very powerful tool and every simple milestone feels amazing. If that is how CAD feels do it, then you surely need a CNC. If that does not appeal to you, pay to have it done. Make friends with a cnc shop and try to work a deal after the first few parts.

…and welcome to your new addiction!

3 Likes

Thanks, Ryan.
It is comeing slower of me being a “old Guy” but I will get their.