New Build in Austin

Hi everybody

I want to say thanks to Ryan for the design - I’m excited to try it out!

I’ve started the first prints on my MPCNC build. I’m planning on integrating @braunscnc 's double belt system, although I’ll be using 3/4 EMT conduit so I’ve got to modify a few of his parts to fit. I’m planning to order the MKS Gen 1.4 for the board, but will probably wait to make final electronics decisions until I’ve gotten the frame/hardware sorted.

I’m still debating which parts to go with PETG and which parts to use PLA, but I’ve used PETG for the feet (35% infill, 4 wall), and I’m pretty happy with the strength and fit so far.

1 Like

Sweet Nice to see another Austin build!!!

New builds are always awesome! If you plan on going dual belt, can you try the original first and do some tests to see if you notice any difference. A lot of people are doing it but I don’t think any have tried it my way first. I don’t think there will be a noticeable difference (I am happy with my precision and accuracy) but who knows, maybe!

Thanks for weighing in! I’m definitely still considering leaving the original design as is. I have later plans use a double belt system to motorize a camera slider and thought it might be a good idea to test the mechanics in this use first, so my reasons are less about any potential improvements to the MPCNC and more about about experimenting with the belt system for other uses.

Subscribed to your build… I really like your motor wiring approach!

Couldn’t resist the extra work/complication… Started size conversion on the corner parts. The first set fits nicely over the 3/4 EMT in my test assembly. The PETG is stronger than I was expecting from what I’ve read here - it’s a very solid piece of plastic.

I guess that makes 1 out of 4 corners done. I still have some reworking left to do on the roller assemblies, but it doesn’t look like it will be too bad. Maybe I can finish before the other three corners are printed.

[attachment file=113868]

Made it to the pen test!

Automaton.mov (5.21 MB)

2 Likes

Great drawing!

1 Like