New Build in Tejas

Heyo, new guy here. I’ve been lurking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a Rambo with dual endstop kit last week. USPS shows it’ll be delivered this Tuesday! Thanks for the quick ship V1.

Started my first set of prints yesterday on my Ender 3. Tripped me out while I was watching it print… On the feet, there’s the V1 logo so I was watching it print what WAS a square base and then the extruder started jumping as it traveled the X-axis… Thought my printer was messing up, turns out it was just the logo!

Pretty stoked to get this thing rocking, I have a little experience with firmware tweaks/flashing (upgraded my stock Ender board to the SKR mini a while back), so I have a small amount of confidence in making little tweaks and recompiling/flashing firmware.

Seems to be a great, established community here. I’m looking forward to contributing what I can and surely asking questions that have already been answered.

I’m planning on a 24"x24" working area, might go a little smaller. I’ll have to see how big of a table I can get in my little man cave (roughly 8’x10’ shed in the backyard).

Going to do my best to take this build slow and steady, which I’ve said before…as I find myself up at 2am saying “just one last thing”. I might not have a choice though with a 7 month old in the mix now.

If I have any questions I’ll try and post them in the proper section of the forum and keep this as more of an update/progress thread. Happy carving!

3 Likes

Forgot the pic I took specifically for this post…

4 Likes

Glad to have you. Love the positivity!

1 Like

Where in Tejas?

Something to think about is that pla can soften and deform in too much heat. I bring it up because you mentioned your shed. I know I feel like my face is going to melt off when I have to work in my shed in the summer here in DFW… But that’s a plastic Rubbermaid shed with a black roof and no tree to shade it and crap for ventilation.

I’m in DFW as well.

I hadn’t thought about the softening of the PLA… I am currently printing the parts from PLA simply because my printer is dialed in for it and I know the tolerances need to be spot on (although I have been fighting some warping/curling off the bed as of late).

Have you experienced deforming in the heat? I don’t know what that glass transition is, but these summers can be pretty brutal.

I have a spool of PETG I’ve been playing around with, but I’m still searching for the right settings. With the PETG I’m still battling some slight stringing. Is the “flex” of PETG going to be an issue in regards to rigidity?

@vicious1 told me the other day 60c. My mpcnc is in the garage where it’s not nearly as hot as the shed and it survived last summer just fine. I’m currently building a lowrider that’s going in a different metal shop and I will say I’m nervous about how well it’s going to handle the weather. We’ll see.

Google says that 140F… it is a metal shed so I suppose that would be possible. I might just stick a fan out there and let it ride. It’s got a couple of windows in it, hopefully that would be enough.

I REALLY don’t wanna print this stuff in PETG lol.

Hello guys, I’m also in the DFW area. Just got mpcnc built and it will be in my garage as well. Glad to hear that you have your machine in the garage and it survived. I figured it would but you never know.

I was battling some warping on the first set of prints I did. Did a little research and found that it might be cooling too quickly… I live in a house built in the 40s, so there is a fair amount of “draftiness” especially in the winter.

Found some old cardboard and BAM! No warping on the second set! I also used an option in Cura for a draft shield (under Advanced/Experimental settings). Not sure which one did the trick or if it was a combination, but I’m back in business.

3 Likes