New Build Questions - MPCNC Build Kit - Primo Version

Hi All,

I’ve been wanting to get a CNC router (only planning for milling at this time) for some time and have the MPCNC Build Kit - Primo Version with the SKR Pro and printed parts in my cart. I am going to buy the Dewalt 660, CNC bits, and the rails, but besides those is there anything else I need to purchase? Also, I only have Apple products, what software do you I need to make this all work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

Did you get your lead screw, end stops, cables, and all of the hardware?
You may need a few more odds and ends, and you’ll need your piping.

Oh and welcome!

You will also need a tool mount for your DW660 . If you have a 3D printer, the STL model for this mount is available. If you are going to build an dual endstop version, I don’t believe the parts come as part of the SKR Pro. You will need four limit switches like this or this, along with four extension calbes for those switches. I’m really happy with the V1 touch plate, though it is not required to get you up and running, and there are many other touch plate solutions.

And you will need to figure out what method you are going to use for protecting the wiring. The choices are sleeving, sleeving using the tape measure trick, and cable chains. V1 sells one size of sleeving in his store, but there are a lot of choices available on Amazon.

Then there is stuff you source locally or may already have

• Table . (the flatter the better)
  • Base board (usually 1/2" or 3/4" MDF)
  • Spoil board (usually 1/2" or 3/4" MDF)
  • Screws to mount the feet
  • Hearing protection

If you are building a larger rig, then I would consider buying an additional dual endstop wiring kit. This is my own suggestion, not something I’ve seen on the forum. A larger rig will need longer cables, and a second wiring kit would allow you to hookup everything without soldering. For me the extra $13 would have been worth it to avoid all the soldering.

As for software, take a look at the software workflow document and the image in the first post in this topic.

Generally you need to solve the following:

• Software to design your project. It may be a vector drawing program or it may be CAD software.
  • CAM software to take the design and generate g-code.
  • A way to deliver the g-code to the conttrol board.

What you choose will partly be restricted by your use of Apple products, but it will also be directed by what you want to make with your machine, and how comfortable you are with more sophisticated software and hardware. For example considering how to deliver the g-code to the control board, you can use an SD card and walk the g-code to your machine, a USB cable and send the g-code to your machine from a program on your Mac, or a wireless solution perhaps using a Raspberry PI.

1 Like

It looks like the Build Kit comes with all of that, please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks!

In reference to Tom’s post, all the things he mentions do come with the kit except for the end stops. The end stop switches and wiring are only needed if you are going to do a dual endstop version of the MPCNC. The endstop switches do come as part of the Rambo board (included by the manufacturer of the Rambo board), but to the best of my knowledge (based on both pictures in the V1 store as well as comments on the forum), they don’t come with the SKR Pro board.

4 Likes