New Lowrider2 in Upstate NY

Fired it up for the first time this afternoon and it drew the test crown pretty well. And even better after some squaring up.

I used my existing torsion box assembly table and added Unistrut rails with some MDF spacers to get to a full 4 X 8’ build area. Parts were printed in Matteforge orange PLA. I tried the belt tensioners available on Thingiverse, but they didn’t work for me, so I went with the original zip tie version.

@vicious1 warned me against using the SKR 1.3, but it arrived the same day he gave me his advice, so I hung on to it. I did have some trouble flashing the firmware that TeachingTech provided with his video series, but then found the binary compiled by @nightlink (thank you!), and that worked well. The TMC5160 drivers really do make the motors quiet, though that won’t matter when the router and vacuum are running. LCD touchscreen is a Makerbase TFT28.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice/troubleshooting during my build, and of course to @vicious1 for this wonderful design. I build guitars for my musician sons. So, when I gain some competence with this, I’m hoping to try to make some arch tops with it. Until then, looking forward to playing around. End mills have arrived. Hoping for a certain router for Father’s Day…

5 Likes

You probably want @vicious1, not Ryan. Looks like a great build though. I love that work surface, and storage underneath.

1 Like

D’oh! Thanks for the correction, @jeffeb3. And, yes, the storage beneath will be nice… when I get around to finishing it. :flushed:

Looking at the photos, I guess I should have paid more attention to the orientation of the logos on the router carriage…

You can fix that with some tape.

You don’t need to point that kind of stuff out. Most people won’t notice. Again, very nice build. :+1:

1 Like

Uh, yeah…I haven’t even noticed the orientation of the logos on my own Lowrider. Now I’m going to, but I sure won’t bother doing anything about it. 8^)

I’ll call it a feature. This way, there are logos facing forward no matter which direction the X carriage is heading.

2 Likes