New MPCNC build in Iowa

I’ve been itching to start on my MPCNC for a looooong time, and I finally got the ball rolling in January. (I had to finish installing 1300sqft of 3/4" hardwood floor, and tile the mudroom, and install all new baseboard trim first. Then, I completed a long list of upgrades on my printers so I could start printing parts.)

I finally have everything printed; I just need to start assembly. :sunglasses:

MPCNC build (started 1/1/2020)
36"x36" frame size (25"x25" work area)
8.5" z-range
1" stainless (0.65" wall)
Full Rambo with dual endstops
Dewalt DW660

I’m working my way through the forum to learn all I can…:wave:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Hawkeye colors are nice!

Yeah…I’m actually a Cyclone (Red & Gold) fan, but went with black and yellow to match the DeWalt spindle. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

That is a big job. Congrats on finishing!

I printed my first V1Engineering machine on a wanhao duplicator i3 (the first one, on pre order). It is still a workhorse.

1 Like

At least you’re not one of those freakish UNI fans, with their purple and gold. I had enough of that foolishness growing up in New Orleans and dealing with obnoxious LSU fans… :wink:

Cedar Rapids transplant here, so de facto Hawks “fan”. Plus my son is dead set on the U of I School of Pharmacy (I think too many episodes of Phineas and Ferb allowed him to imprint on Dr. Doof…)

Stalled out on my own build after getting everything printed, conduit cut, and table top built. Now, there’s a pile of electronics and motors sitting in my basement, waiting for motivation (and for me to remember where I put my soldering iron).

1 Like

Now that is getting your interests prioritized!

2 Likes

I made quite a bit of progress this weekend

4 Likes

I had big plans to get everything wired up this weekend, but I realized that the RAMBO box that I was printing did not have enough room for the GX16-6 aviation connectors that I wanted to use. I spent all of Sunday using Fusion 360 to redraw the box from scratch, using the stock box as my pattern.

I am still an amateur Fusion 360 user, so I knew this would be a good exercise for me. I duplicated the stock design, then increased the height and added holes for the connectors. But, when it came time to add the air vent at the front, I couldn’t leave well enough alone.

“If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.”

Here’s a glimpse of what it should look like when it finishes printing…image

10 Likes

Looks good, real good!

I saw CAD and tried to rotate it instinctively.

3 Likes

Don’t try to rotate this one either, @vicious1.

Finished design.

When I was creating my cad drawing, I got carried away and made six holes in the back, so I left the extra hole but added knock-out plugs.

There’s nothing like a personal project to motivate learning. I’ve gone back into the cad file several times (I’m on version 17) to update how I dimensioned some of the features. Initially, I dimensioned everything from the outside of the box, since I was just trying to faithfully duplicate the original, but I went back and dimensioned all the RAMBO features off of the board mounting holes, since that will aid future revisions. (I just wasn’t thinking about it the first time, then I realized that I hadn’t made the design parametrically. Both versions would produce the exact same part, but the later version is more “correct”.)

5 Likes

yes exactly. now you will start projects that way and hopefully get there before V17 next time…but with that said I am on at least V20+ with my new part…oh and save often!

Looks like that needs to be a shirt!!!

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

I’m finally done (I hope) wiring the box. Lots of cutting, stripping, crimping, soldering, testing, removing, starting over, more cutting, resoldering, etc.

I disassembled and reassembled the XY carriage once also, so by the time I finish my first MPCNC, I will have completed two or more builds. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Obligatory crown, with some 100mm squares to check the squareness. The diagonals are within .1mm.

:man_dancing:

8 Likes

YAyAAAAAAAA!!!

So, I my goal for this weekend was to get my enclosure finished. I have been delaying “getting it dirty” because I didn’t have an enclosure and my workspace is also my office in the basement utility room.

I could have just thrown some boards together, but I wanted to use this project to improve my Fusion 360 skills, so I drafted the entire cabinet before heading to the garage to cut the lumber. FWIW, I did the cabinet drawing about 5 times, forcing myself to learn how to make proper components, instead of just plain bodies, etc. And my clumsy CAD skills gave me the opportunity to Google some answers to things I didn’t do correctly, etc.

But, I finally finished the drawing to my satisfaction, then headed to the garage…and even got most of it put together. Just some door hinges and plexiglass left to install. :sunglasses:

I also need to install some lighting and add the down-draft dust collection…but it’s coming together!

Fusion 360 version:

Reality:

5 Likes

Looks like the Rambo, where did you find that box for it? I assume it’s printed? I haven’t seen one with the aeronautical plug holes yet. Would love the .stl file if you have one.

That’s what I get for reading on my phone, didn’t scroll up enough to see the photo of your print. Still, if you’re willing to share I’d love to snag a copy of that file.