New multipurpose build in Kansas - Plasma/Router/Laser

Been lurking for about 6 months. Finally made an account so I could post my progress. I printed everything in PLA, but that may have to change depending on how it holds up to the plasma.

I’m using a cut50P from amazon with one of their machine torches. (It should be here sometime in the next month.)

I haven’t ordered the hardware on control board yet, but I’m almost to that point.

I’m mounting the cnc to the steel with rivnuts, as well as the spoil board. Still waiting on t-nuts so I can finish up the spoil board, and casters so I can weld them on the table and then paint the whole thing in a fluorescent green.

7 Likes

FUN!!! It would be nice to add a known cheap plasma to the list. Can’t wait to see how it works.

I just ordered the hardware and an Archim1 board from you, so hopefully I’ll have it going by the end of April!

Oh…you might really want to test with a throw away board first. A crappy plasma will destroy a board. Dui went through a pile of boards before he figured his issues out.

Yep, grounding is definitely a must. I ran a plasma cam table almost 20 years ago, and it took us a minute to figure out the emf issues. Gotta shield the machine, as well as ground the wires.

Dui’s solution for safe keeping!

1 Like

I understand that really dry compressed air is important for plasma cutting. What’s your solution for keeping the air dry?

I run an air dryer at my compressor outlet as well as a water trap on the back of the plasma cutter.

1 Like

Noice build so far, looks clean!

Yeah, as Ryan suggested, maybe try it first with some cheap arduino, like an arduino uno and a CNC shield (probably the cheapest solution), just to make sure you’ve properly grounded everything.
Would be a shame to ruin such an expensive board, I recall I’ve burned 3 or 4 arduino mega because of that, lucky for me they are very cheap in China.

2 Likes

Yeah I missed a setting in marlin, just run M501 then M500.

Alright, I feel like I’m missing something here.

1. I downloaded the V1CNC Archim Dual firmware
  2. Uploaded with Arduino IDE 1.8.9
    3)Connected with cura, ran M501, then m500 to eleiminate EEPROM error
  3. Get display message V1 CNC Ready
  4. power off, unplug from computer
    6)Power on to check - randomly freezes up when navigating through menus, sometimes it doesn’t even make it past the boot loader. Doesn’t matter how many resets. LCD stays lit, but goes blank.
    7)reconnect usb, reset, everything works just fine. Can navigate through menus without freezing.

Any suggestions?

Mild heart attack: Tried a fresh firmware upload and bricked the Archim board.
1)Downloaded most current Arduino IDE
2)Re uploaded firmware - bricked board. Blank screen, Flash blocked.
3)Panick
4)Force windows to use RAMBO driver from reprap wiki for com port
5)While connected to PC with Arduino IDE opened, Hold ERASE, wait 1 second, Press and hold RESET for one second, release both.
6)PC prompts for installing amtel device, upload firmware : Success - no longer an expensive paperweight.
7) connect cura, issue M501, M500
8)Reset
9)Disconnect USB
10)STILL FREEZES

Sigh.

I have never tried using cura with it, can you try Repetier host

Cura works for sending manual code. It has a “monitor” section that allows you to input them, similar to repetier

And I do not know what erase does, never tried it.

If I have an issue I re-flash, make sure Archim is selected in the boards menu and you do NOT have u8glib installed.

There are a bunch of these out there now and I have not had any other issues. If it continues for you I will set mine up again and double check. At worst it is just a LCD timing issue. I think I have a know timing issue LCD to test with now.

isn’t u8glib included in the firmware? I never downloaded it separately.

Right. That’s what he is saying. Don’t install it on its own.

For whatever reason, it only freezes when disconnected from the usb. Thoughts?

@vicious1 @jeffeb3

Troubleshooting leads me to beleive its power related. Using a phone charger to supply additional power through the usb connection leads to stable operation. Next to test it with the motors and stops connected.

Unplug the usb, restart the board. That should work fine.

No dice. It doesn’t matter how many times you restart it, it still locks up (if you’re lucky enough to even make it to the main page.) But the moment you plug in a second power source, it works fine. I was able to get everything set up and draw the crown. The dual end-stops work great, the only hiccup was that the z was inverted.

Not sure if the board is faulty, or if there would be something in the firmware that might cause this behavior?

Router should be here Tuesday! (Wife wanted to start cutting some projects sooner rather than later, so I’ll have to re-do all my wiring for the plasma cutter sometime in the future.)

Some update pictures:
Put some wheels on with levelers.

Spoil board:

Obnoxious paint:

Tnuts in the spoil board

All the goodies for assembly:

The annoying blue screen every time it freezes: (pre secondary power source)

Obligatory crown drawing:(with a duct tape sharpie!)

3 Likes