New Primo build in Illinois

Just built my own MPCNC Primo after printing a full set of parts for a friend’s build and getting jealous. Three weeks after starting the first print, I just plotted my first test crown and am excited to start milling! The assembly went much smoother than I expected; kudos to Ryan for an excellent design and to the user community for all of the testing!

I did hit one snag: The tension bolts can’t be properly tensioned if the teeth are biting on the far hole. After disassembling the trucks and filing the holes, the rest went off without a hitch. This would be useful information to include in the assembly instructions, even if it is common knowledge that I was lacking :slight_smile: .

The next steps are to print an electronics enclosure, run wiring, mount the spoilboard, and start learning CAM. My project queue includes a wooden wall map, some RC parts, and probably some laser engraving down the road.

Build details:

• Primo 25.4mm
  • Stainless rails, 0.065"
  • 12x24 work area
  • Dual endstops
  • DeWalt 660
  • RAMPS 1.4, Mega, Raspberry Pi with Cncjs
  • MDF spoilboard with inserts

4 Likes

The crown didn’t turn out too bad. The initial messiness was me futzing with the pen because it was just clamped on.

4 Likes

Very nice, now just figure out how to manage all those wires :joy: I had the same fun!

Nice build! Welcome to the crowd! (My phone suggested “to the aristotelian”, I hope you don’t need to get into that…)

1 Like

Sharp spinning things and electrical wires, what could possibly go wrong?!

Just need to wait for a rainy day so I can muster the motivation to spent a few hours crimping and soldering!