Newest Project :) 3d print + cnc etc

So I just rocked out my latest project. As always it became MUCH bigger than i thought it would, but hey its fun.
I ended up 3d printing on my gmax, but cutting, engraving, lasering, etc on my MPCNC. First time ive used it since my chessboard and it didnt dissapoint.

Awesome project!

We are actually ordering a gMax 1.5XT for engineering teams/clubs to use at my college. I had so many potential printers and a rather large budget and ended up choosing the gmax. Hopefully it was a good choice. Can’t wait to set it up next year!

Also, this is how to fix your stl scale issues with Inventor.
Click on the “Export” option, Chose “CAD format”, input a file name and select .STL, click on the “options” button in the middle of the save window, in the upper left choose “binary” and “millimeter”. Doesn’t seem to matter what units you used in the first place (I usually use inches).

Green lines in Inventor is a pet peeve of mine, probably because my CAD teacher in high school was super picky about it. I am usually lazy and just use the auto dimension button. It really helps to have everything fully constrained if you ever go back to change something or reference it in another sketch. Also turning off “Auto Project Geometry” was the best thing he ever told us to do.

You will love your gmax… however, first thing I did was upgrade the Jhead to an E3D, which required printing a new fan shroud, and a new Auto Bed Leveling sensor holder (the e3d is 10mm or so longer). Now its printing like a DREAM. My heated bed is shipping out today from NYC i think. Gordon is a great business owner, knew I was going to swap the buildtak for PEI so emailed me asking if I would just like the buildtak in the box but not installed. How nice.

Anyway. Yeah the project was super fun. I debut it as my quarterly business review tomorrow. Reaction should be good. Then I have a tradeshow event next week where Ill show it off too.

As far as the scale, i dont mind that at all, its easy to scale up and this keeps the files really small when emailing etc, although its nice to know how to do it :slight_smile:

What do green lines mean? why are they bad? :slight_smile:

Ill have to see about the Jhead hotend. If I don’t like it on the gmax it will probably be swapped to another printer.

Once you change those settings once it never has to be changed again.

Green lines usually mean they aren’t fully constrained. For stuff like this it doesn’t really matter, but with more complex things it makes a big difference when dimensions are changed. If you were to go back into that file and try to change one dimension, a lot of things might move in random directions to make it easier for that dimension to change. For something this simple it would probably move how you expect, but when you get into complicated designs, especially when features are defined from other sketches, things start to move in really strange ways when the lines are green instead of purple.