Nintendo Switch

Picked one up for the kids over the weekend (work bonus comes late at this place).

Got Kirby and Mariokart so far for it. Found out after I got home that the daughter likes playing some game called Arms. Also found a download only logic game called The Bridge that’s on sale for $3… figured I give it a try.

What other games are people enjoying on this thing?

Internet confession, I always really liked playing the zelda games. I have not played breath of the wild, even though it’s supposedly one of the best games ever, not just the best zelda game…

And there’s super smash bros. I have always liked that too. Good late night party game in college.

And mine craft, my nephew likes that.

I’ll probably buy a switch when my kids are old enough to enjoy it. Then I’m going to be the last person on the planet to play BotW.

It was nice knowing you Dave. I’ll see you in a few months.

My wife calls me dave when she’s mad at me…

We don’t allow the kids to have electronics during the week unless it’s necessary for home work. My gaming time is limited to weekends or after they go to bed. Weekend time has to be shared with the kids.

Mario kart! Good quick fun. I like it because you don’t have to play it for hours for something to happen, and it is multiplayer. Just turn it on, trash talk, and be done.

I’ll remember this, I might need to get my point across somewhere down the line. :smiley:

1 Like

So you’re pretty used to it then.

2 Likes

For the older crowd, my son enjoys playing Skyrim. He played it almost constantly during the times we were relaxing on our last cruise. He also asked if I could print a game cube like controller from it that he found on TV. It turned out fairly well - he wanted the -10 degree angled variant.

I really don’t make it to ‘dave’ stage very often.

1 Like

I don’t think you’d want to make up after…

3 Likes

Shoot me your address. You can borrow mine (if I ever get my Joycons back from my nephews).

I’m a Zelda fan and I’m proud of it. My wife thought I was insane to be spending about $500 for the Switch JUST to play Zelda. I love it that much. As a bonus it IS the best Zelda I’ve ever played - especial in terms of bang for the buck. I loved it so much that I’m actually saving the final “chapters” for when I have time to devote to it again (the castle). It is so immersive you have no idea.

We have an N64, GameCube, DS, 3DS, Wii and a Switch in this house - the only games really played on them - Zelda. If the SNES systems weren’t so overpriced I’d consider getting one just to round out the collection. We have a NES at dad’s but no cartridges. And I don’t think we ever had the Game Boy/GB Advance (Link’s Awakening/Oracle of Color/Ages according to Wikipedia). I should look into those.

@David Walling - The nephews have a tetris/poyu game that’s pretty fun/intense for group play. Not sure what it’s called. And the 1-2-Switch or whatever it’s called is actually quite fun too. Another social gathering kinda game. It’s a great system. Very well put together, great battery life, screen etc. I played BOTW almost exclusively on the device screen.

Now to finish my bedtime tea…[attachment file=86524]

1 Like
Internet confession, I always really liked playing the zelda games. I have not played breath of the wild, even though it’s supposedly one of the best games ever, not just the best zelda game…
I don't know what wierdos think that. A Link to the Past is clearly not only the best Zelda game, but is the best game ever.

That’s very nice of you. I don’t have time to play it right now though. I’ve got a 4yo and a 1yo. Any spare time I get I spend on these machines or my projects. I feel like someday I’ll be able to play with my 4yo and I’ll find one then. If I wait until the Next Big Thing comes, then I’ll have lots of choices.

I bought the game cube and wii for Zelda. Turns out there were other good uses for them :).

That’s pretty much the only one I don’t like :). I didn’t play all the mobile ones, but I probably like the original or ocarina of time the best. It’s definitely nostalgia though.

I do kind of wonder if that game, or RPGs in general prepared me for V1 machine addiction. Like the MPCNC is the master sword and the low rider is the biggoron sword. The MP3DP is the… hookshot?

Picked up Arms for the daughter yesterday. I also picked up a little logic game called The Bridge. It’s pretty cool so far. I’m hoping the puzzles start to get harder.

Our living room is pretty far from the access point, and I think it’s causing slowness to the device on the network. I picked up an ethernet adapter for the docking station that should come in tomorrow.

I also put a spare 64GB microSD card into it. Will the device automatically start using the card? also, does it store the games themselves on the card? I’m trying to do more ‘download only’ games to help keep the kids from loosing game cards. Not sure how that’s going to play out long term.

My nieces painted their car with the Zelda map several years ago (before they went to college IIRC, and they’ve both been out for years now). They got quite a few internet hits when they decided to sell it later. Google “Zelda Car” and look for it. :slight_smile:

Their dad painted his old full sized van with a brick motif, which may have been the inspiration. Oh, and they did a zebra stripe car too…

Um. That’s awesome.

That’s pretty much the only one I don’t like :). I didn’t play all the mobile ones, but I probably like the original or ocarina of time the best. It’s definitely nostalgia though.
It can't be the only one you don't like. Minish Cap, Link Between Worlds, and Four Swords are all based in the same world, and have the same game play. Have you not played those ones?

What? No love for Windwaker? My three girls all were first addicted… I mean introduced to Zelda through that shaded goodness!

I'm not saying we like the franchise but our cat's name is Link :-)

The kids have been playing a lot of Stardew Valley.

I tried adding it to my laptop for some co-op play, but then found out there is not cross-platform coop :frowning:

We do have some more laptops in the house. I might have to get the game running on those too.