Not all Motors Move

Only one of each x&y axis motors moved (x1&y1), z move just fine. I was hoping that it was a firmware issue, so i flashed the firmware.

Finished flashing the board to RAMBO Dual Endstops. Problem still exists.

Here is the setup. RAMBO 1.4 board, dual endstops. All motors and electronics bought from v1engineering.

The X1 & Y1 motors work fine, but X2 & Y2 motors don’t move.

To rule out wiring issues or motor problems I swapped the wires for the 1’s & 2’s. Then the other motors worked but not original. This means it’s not a wiring issue or a motor issue. Has to be the board or firmware.

This is my second MPCNC build, and its identical to the first in all aspects. My concern is that its an issue with the board.

I also tried it with the endstops removed from the board, still same results. Not sure what to try next.

(side note, yes i know i shouldn’t have the same colored wires for my neg and pos power supply, but i ran out of red and black wire…replacement is on the way).

1 Like

What does M119 say, and what version number shows up on your screen at boot?

1 Like

As someone who recently upgraded to dual endstops, the behavior you describe is what happens if you run the non-dual endstop firmware. I just checked and the dual endstop firmware I’m running is 427D. I’m guessing that the ‘D’ stands for ‘dual’. But this is also the behavior I saw after I upgraded the firmware but had the stepper motor cables in ‘backwards’. The firmware was trying to run X2 and Y2 backwards, but due to geometry only X1 and Y1 were moving. You might try reversing X2 and Y2 or even just unplugging X1 and Y1 to see what happens.

Based off of the post from Robert Bunney it appears that maybe the firmware flash didn’t work. I did get an error, but the instructions notified me it was to be expected. I’ll reflash it and get a screen shot of the error from Arduino.

Here is the boot screen and the M119 gcode.

Robert, I don’t have the belts attached yet. I did that in case things like this happen. Its my understanding that if i had the cable in backwards, it would simply turn the opposite direction. When i move the two motor cables to the board spots that do work, they spin just fine. (aka not an issue with cable or motor…at least i don’t think so…hahaha). based off of your post that there was a “D” at the end of 427, I’m thinking the flash didn’t work. I did get an error when i flashed the firmware, but i was under the impression it was expected (per the instructions). Perhaps the error i got is a different error and it never actually flashed.

1 Like

Yep. That is serial firmware, and a few months old. The age doesn’t really matter (the machines have been making chips for years), but it probably means it didn’t actually flash.

One message about two versions of u8glib is normal. An error message about CreateProcess is no good.

Yup just reflash it and make sure there are no errors at the bottom of arduino. Or Some are finding platform io flashing even easier.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/platformio/

Here is the error code i have received. Is this abnormal or normal error code?

Also, I’m not crazy, this is the right file for Rambo Dual Endstops right?

That error meager is because the command line reached over 32k characters. You can build it using platformio or try to reduce the size by renaming it to M/M.ino and putting it in the root of the drive like C:/M/M.ino.

Platformio is pretty slick though.

I had a similar/same problem when using the Arduino IDE to compile the firmware. Moving the files to the root of an empty drive did not solve the problem for me. I ended up having to use Visual Studio Code and PlatformIO to flash the firmware.

Jeff,i literally have no idea what you said. Computer programming is 100% lost on me.

That being said i followed the step by step instructions to use Microsoft Visual Studio Code, and it worked just fine. I now have all 5 motors functioning properly and can finish the build. Why on earth it worked when i made my first MPCNC and not this time is beyond me.

Thank you all for the awesome help on this one. You guys are great.

A special thank you to Ryan. You made an awesome product and have superior support. Keep up the good work. I’m so happy to support your business.

1 Like

Try this instead of arduino.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/platformio/

What he is saying is your file locations are to large for arduino. C:\Users\mom and dad…It ends up being so long arduino can’t handle it. Platform.io was switched to to get around this issue.

The good thing is I think most are actually finding it easier to use as well.

I wouldn’t say easier…but still not hard. Your instructions worked very well. I would add a small description, however, to clarify the need to install “Python” as part of the platformio installation. Once i clicked install on platformio i sat back and waited…a long time…a very long time (about 45 min)…to be fair there might have been a few beers involved. But long story short, i felt it was just too long so i started looking around. I clicked the purple status bar and it informed me that i had to install Python as part of the platformio installation. It wouldn’t finish the platformio install until i did. Once i did it worked just fine. Just my input…take it or leave it.

Whats very strange is that i used the exact same process (via arduino) about a year ago and had no issues (my first MPCNC). But this time it wouldn’t work. Same computer, same program, same board, same everything…

In any case, thank you so much for your support. You make an awesome product and have superior customer support. I am so glad I purchased my parts through you. Well done!!! Ive already sent 5 people your way that have built and are using an MPCNC…you are amazing!!!

2 Likes

Shoot, really? Okay I will get a fresh computer and see what I can do to revamp this, I must already have had python on both machines I use…freaking Heffe and that python…

Thank you. That is great to hear. I have been so stinking busy I have not been helping as much as used to but I am glad I got in here to help get you going!

Excellent. :snake:

It is the latest version of Marlin. The devs don’t use arduino anymore so they aren’t noticing the issues.