Overlay dxf on photo of part

I’ve been cutting parts that have a lot of holes and at first noticed that the placement of the holes would be slightly off over time. I’ve been troubleshooting the problem and I think I’ve fixed it, but I was wondering if there’s a quick and easy way to verify all the holes and cuts are in the correct spot.

Is there some software that exists where I can take a photo of the finished part, load the image into the program and give it a reference length, then overlay the dxf for the part on top of the photo? The dxf would be scaled appropriately. You could line up the actual holes with what is in the dxf to see how accurate the cut came out.

1 Like

I do that same type of thing in AutoCAD all the time. I’m not sure if there is a similar open source program that will do it.
Most everyone else uses ESTL cam. I personally use CAMBAM and I think it can overlay an image on or under DXF lines. I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I’ve done that with inkscape, although for my application it’s usually the other way, loading an image, setting the scale, and then tracing.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I was looking for something open source. But I’d be interested to know how AutoCAD does it, especially if it automatically lines everything up. I might be able to write my own program to do the same thing.

Awesome I was thinking about Inkscape last night while laying in bed trying to sleep. So just convert the dxf to an svg (or maybe Inkscape can handle dxf files, I’m not sure) and set the scale in inkscape to the units you want to use or do a unit conversion. So then you just need a reference line and a point you know is accurate (like the origin of the cut). Did I miss anything?

Inkscape is open source and supports making plugins. If I end up using this technique a lot I could try to make a plugin that scales and positions everything automatically.

Inkscape can both import and export dxf files.

1 Like