First, yes. I started installing these two weeks after Christmas. They are permanent, and should be up for next year. I ordered them mid December and bought them on the slow boat from China. Here are some stats:
- 976 LEDs. About 6.5m total. The top line is 420LEDs.
- Individually addressable RGB.
- WS2815B, which are 12V with a backup data line.
- There are 4 separate strands. No extra power, just 12V at the start.
- QuinLED-Dig-Quad board with esp32.
- Running WLED (currently the github version so I can run multiple outputs).
I am using the C channel Geoff’s video recommended. I have a 12V PSU in a sprinkler box in the garage. I replaced all the connectors with direct solder to the wire and I covered the joints with hot glue and heat shrink.
I even managed to make the plastic hug around an outside corner.
I was a little nervous about working on the second story, but I borrowed a good ladder and it was fine. I did as much prep work as I could on the ground. Especially measuring everything and presoldering and prepping the joints inside on my electronics bench. So much easier.
But when I did the final install, there was an intermittent wiring issue. Of course, on the very top.
But I made a little patch and it was replaced pretty easily.
The whole thing is controlled from a web page on my lan. I have hooks to turn it on with home assistant. It is pretty darn slick.
Just one problem though. I dont get to see it. I hope my neighbors enjoy it.