Photo wall with carved boards

My wife and I went to Ireland last October and are just getting around to filling this big blank wall in our bedroom. We had photos done by some online service that prints them in 8x8" foam core with dbl stick tape that won’t hurt your wall. She is laying out the boards and I’m cutting them on the Primo. Nothing special, just some 2d carves, but racking up experience points on the machine.

The font is Kells. The Mrs. tracked down the knot somewhere online.

Here’s the first two. Still have to pick the stain color.

Boards are 17x17". It’s just pine wood but the resolution was ok. Little kerfy on the close carves. 60degree V at 1.5mm depth. 1mm DOC, 800mm/min.

4 Likes

I’d be tempted to try varnishing/sealing the blank, painting it kelly green, then carving it and re-sealing the whole thing one more time, especially if you’re using pine or poplar. If you’ve gotten something with a nice figure, go the opposite direction, stain, seal and cover the blank with a physical protector (tape/film), carve, paint the carving kelly green, then remove the tape/film and seal the whole thing.

Of course, I’d screw the whole thing up and have terrible bleeding under the tape, or huge chip-out on the painted surface… But that’s me, not you!

I’d do a darkish stain, and fill the carves with green flavored resin, but it’s all up to the boss.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’ll keep those processes in mind for future projects though!

She picked English Chestnut. And SHE’S the Irish one! Ha!

3 Likes

Aaaaaaand done.

This marks the completion of my first major project enabled by the MPCNC.

Thanks @vicious1 for designing a piece of equipment that is accessible to so many people that couldn’t otherwise afford a machine like this.

Thanks to everyone else in this community who has been a great help with all of my questions and providing other guidance and inspiration from their builds.

11 Likes