Plasma parts cutting

A couple straight up cutting jobs just completed…

8 Likes

1/8 stainless and 3/16 mild…

13 Likes

Wow, very impressive setup

I need the plans and setup for the plasma LR.

what do i need to add to my LR to make it a plasma cutter

You need to decide how involved you want to get. Out of the box you can slap a relay on it to control the torch and run it as is (with a high quality Plasma cutter). If you want to add torch height control you need specialized electronics and software (I am building one of those myself). From there if you need more speed you can run it as is, swap to larger pulleys, run the build in this thread.

It is both simple and very hard. Cheap plasma cutters can pop your electronics…it gets complicated quick.

Harness the power of a star…
thor

1 Like

As someone that started doing metalwork last year… I really want to build one of these. My shop is getting very small very fast.

1 Like

Lots of wires…I know it will be worth it though. I keep using this thread as my inspiration.

what plasma cutter setup are you going with?

I’m at the very top of this rabbit hole. Just spent too much time on amazon looking at plasma cutters. Partially thinking of starting with a cheap manual one to get a feel for how they work, but if it makes sense to get a ‘cnc ready’ one that can be used manually first, then I might go that route.

The CNC-ready one may be a good idea for additional EMI shielding as well. A lot of the getting-started-with-plasma-cutting topics seem to suffer from board resets, etc. due to interference and/or shielding problems. If I were able to start down that road, I’d also get a nice steel case to keep the controller in, rather than the old plastic box I’m using now.

I have been very happy with my Everlast plasma, blow back start and can get a 80a machine with machine torch for like 1700cad… I have hundreds of hours on mine.

100% blow back start… the hf / hv machines will give u issues!

I’m amazed at the stuff you’re doing and showing in this thread but I have very little clue what you’re talking about :rofl: with that being said, please don’t stop posting! It really makes me want to build a low rider now at least and maybe even make it a plasma cutter version too!

1 Like