Please send me the M3 x 10mm screws I purchased

Please send me the M3 x 10mm screws I purchased as part of the pre-packaged kit. These screws were not in the box. I drove 45 minutes and spent $15.00 to get screws, only to find out the heads are too large. We cannot leave the house after tomorrow due to the CV-19 lockdown in Indiana.

Also, is it typical to have to drill out every singe hole so the screws fit?

45 minutes and 15 usd for twenty M3 x 10mm screws? I really should think about getting in this business, it seems like they can screw people and get away with it easy.
I’m sure Ryan will sent you the missing screws, but meanwhile be creative, it’s a machine for DIYers, not for Lego guys, you can find m3 screws in old appliances everywhere, don’t use that as an excuse to pause your build :slight_smile:

As for the holes sizes, I can’t say if this is normal for Ryan’s parts, but I know that I always print the holes slightly undersized and then drill afterwards on all my 3D prints.

It’s possible to slim them down by spinning the screw in a cordless drill and holding the head against an abrasive disk (angle grinder, Dremel, bench grinder, etc) or even a file.

It certainly is on my cheapo 3D printer!

More seriously, due to the rough surface produced by 3D printing, if you print it to be a nice fit, only the tops of the ridges will be touching and any wear will result in an oversize hole. If you print undersize and drill to size, there’s a lot more plastic touching the bolt.

1 Like

Deep breath mate

drilling out all holes for clearance is a good idea and makes assemblies a lot easier where you do not have to screw every mm in before your bolt /screw will grab the nut.

2 Likes

I get all my metric hardware at Ace Hardware.

2 Likes

I’m not dismantling appliances to build a CNC router when I paid for the screws… I live in a very rural area and the stores never want to waste a good crisis to gouge customers. I’m grateful they were open but they aren’t running any sales. I’m a DIY’r but also want what I pay for. Normally this isn’t a problem. Indiana goes on lockdown today. No non essential travel. Just doing my part.

Thanks for the kind advice… I was going to do exactly what you said and have done that many times… however, I have to wait to get drill bits anyway so I’ll just wait on the screws rather than sand them down.

I only have standard drill bits… someone borrowed my large set of bits and I don’t have the proper size so I’m going to just wait a day or two until I have to make a grocery run to stop and get the proper bits. I’m a DIY’r but I like to Do it Right.

My point is, I’ll just wait until I get the proper screws then get the correct drill bits. It’s just frustrating with this pandemic going on that I can’t just run and get what I need when I want.

The CV-19 lockdown is just frustrating. I can’t do what I want, when I want… such as buy the right screws because stores clothes early and our state is issuing class B misdemeanor’s for anyone non essential being out. I’ll need to wait until we need something before I can run and go get drill bits… I could lie and I probably wouldn’t get caught but I’m trying to set a good example for my kids.

We have to flatten the curve no matter how annoying…

1 Like

Yeah. This totally sucks. It is affecting everyone. Everyone is at higher strain. Everyone needs to be kind to each other. This place is hopefully going to be a decent escape for those of us that enjoy it.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have emailed Ryan aka v1 and he has always been responsive, even when the issues were clearly my own speediness missing details.

I would have preferred to have done that but I don’t know the email address

https://shop.v1engineering.com/pages/refund-privacy-and-tos-statements. -see bottom.

The bottom of the main page has a link to contact. Scroll to the bottom.

2 Likes

Ryan usually prefers to handle troubleshooting via the forums, so we can help. It really does work better.

But he can’t connect an order to a forum post, so if it is order related, then email/contact page is best.

I am sure @vicious1 is swamped right now, but I am pretty sure he will make it right. He doesn’t censor the forums, and missing parts are rare.

1 Like

Hi,

I am doing my best too keep up, right now every order seems to come with an email asking for something special so please give me a little extra time. I’m in Cali so strict stay at home here as well. The Post Office is being awesome and still coming here everyday to pick up orders.

If you would like to share your order number I can ship those out USPS priority.

1 Like

I see I have an email from you as well. I will do what I can to find your order number (for the address) and get those out.

2 Likes

Order #10799

Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, good luck guys with the lockdown.
We’ve been there already, it lasted a bit more than a month in Shanghai and it is just finishing in a few days in Wuhan, so that will be about 3 months for them. We still have two or three colleagues from wuhan who didn’t come back yet and are still stuck there.

That’s why I suggested to be creative, cuz I experienced this thing already: today you don’t have a few screws and a drill bit, tomorrow you won’t have a switch , a wire and whatnot… So if you don’t improvise, you’ll likely lose a whole month!
Personal story, during the lockdown in Shanghai, I didn’t have steel plates to weld in order to build a part of some machine. Well I changed my plan, found some aluminum stuff I didn’t need around my home, melted it and sand casted the thing. Just find some creative way to get to the same result, you can still come back at it later once you’ll get the proper hardware :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Colorado went on a more restricted stay at home order today. Hardware stores are considered critical (although, I will not be going in for any vanity projects). Delivery trucks are also critical. Not sure about the amazon distribution center, but my guess is they fit into several of these categories that are exempt.

It looks like it is going to be a lot more than a month here.

I completely regret posting about screws being left out of my order in this forum… I am by no means a lazy non go getter as you and others seem to imply… I can build and improvise with the best of them. I simply wanted what I paid for and didn’t want to improvise or rig the fasteners for the motors… I tend to be patient and do things right… why would I dismantle my appliances when I can get the parts I ordered by asking. I didn’t know I could email and get them… I was told to always use the forum. I will only use this for functionality type questions for now on.