Portable low rider based on MCunn's great design

So I decided to give this a go and used Michael’s great idea as my jumping off point. I revised the cradles a bit for a couple of reasons:

-I wanted more support where the most load is, i.e at the outer ends.
-I wanted it easier to cut on the table saw so I lowered the block between the rails so its height is the same as the rest
-i want to cut fewer holes
-I widened the center block for wider rails so that a 2x4 spoil board assemble can drop in. I realized after i cut it out that there was a gap and I had to fill it with a custom cut piece.
-I put a running rail on top of the ladder frame that raises the Y-carriage up a bit and braced those with wedges.

The cradles are still triple laminated 3/4" plywood that are glued and screwed together. To get the slots on either end, I had to build a special cross cut sled and stack them all together. I took multiple passes and then chiselled the difference. I tried it with a jigsaw, and remembered why I hate jigsaw’s…

I think the center circles are 2.25" or 2.5" holesaw with the center jigsaw’ed out. After realizing the center between the holes doesn’t really need to come out, I just left it and saved myself the extra work. Just a hole gives enough grip for the U-bracket.

2 Likes

screen shot of CAD

Everything else is the same as Mcunn’s portable build (saw horse mounting, panel frames etc.)

2 Likes

some as built pictures–you might be able to see the difference between the plans and the as-built. I modified the plans after building to reflect things I wish I had done lol…

4 Likes

Ladder rail end view… (partial top view)

do you have any more details? Is this MCunn design in the forum here? I like what I see.

I found it

I like it!

1 Like

Could you share the CAD files to work with?

1 Like

Sure:

Hopefully that works…

1 Like

Build progress! I had the bars cut too short so I had to shave off some of the Y-axis rails to suit–lesson learned!

2 Likes

I also decided to “remix” the X-axis belt connection system. The zip ties work for permanent systems, but to dismantle, not so much. I made it clear this was NOT a V1 design :slight_smile: (hope thats ok?)

It is ok. If you share it (you should), you should just make sure the license is the same.

But how do you print that? With a lot of supports?

I’m trying a print with the lettering towards the bed. Supports aren’t that bad in this orientation

edit: I remixed the part so the cable retainer is bolted on after–this way the main body (original V1 part) can be printed with no supports (upside down) as normal. The cable retainer and angle bracket holder then get printed with supports but are easy to orient to minimize that. I’m going to reprint once my printer is done doing other stuff and post back pictures later…

2 Likes

Installed and seems to work well. Now there is some tensioning available if needed on the X-axis

2 Likes

Try this one if that gives you trouble.

Designed to keep the belt at the same height as the original.

Cheers

Andrew

1 Like

And…its done!!!

Close up on electronics carriage. I still have to tweak the tft bin file so it does all the things i want and find a relay that will handle the 100vdc 500w spindle…

1 Like

And 20 mins later, i had to waste all that sweet garage space on an actual car :face_exhaling: due to a “snow emergency”

So here it is packed away…

1 Like

Boo snow!

The table is up and running but I see I need to do some bed levelling. What I came up with was a 2x3 bolted underneath the table with some 1/4-20 bolts set in to threaded inserts. This was i could crank the bed by as much or as little as needed to level it out. I have 2 x 2x4 panels and each panel gets 6 levelling points. The first picture shows level at home and the 2nd is 24" along the X-axis.

Each 2x3 is held onto the main support arms by some simple fence brackets. It works quite well! Most expensive part was the stupid 2x3…

2 Likes

I keep my 1st 24inches perfect and don’t worry about the end of the table. All the full table cuts I do are full depth so I’m not too worried about the far end.