Primo upgrade - Tromsø, Norway

You’re lucky, you have far fewer lawyers than we have in the US.

No I live in wisconsin I can only jest at it my neighbor would blow it back like a ping pong ball

We do love our sports! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I tried running my snow blower through the dog yard once. Sheared both pins! Break up in the dog yard is horrible.

Yes, the lawn is always the deposit area for the driveway (north side of the house). We’re so lucky to have a small river next to our place, that we can shove the lawn-snow down into. Swoosh it goes! This has been the most snow rich winter in many generations, very annoyin on top of the corona and the world falling to pieces!

4 Likes

I’m actually glad that the 25mm version is taking it’s time. Right now I’m far away from my printer, and spending all waking hours on this little place… next week I’m back home and ready to print!

5 Likes

Cute place. New summer home?

You do realize that there’s a stern octogenarian with a sharp eye and a stopwatch who’s the official Summer timekeeper for @turbinbjorn’s town, right? They’d barely have time to hitch up the reindeer before Fall was upon them again… :clown_face:

Edit: And why did they celebrate Winter Finding? It seems to me if you just wait around the mead hall for another round or two, Winter will find you! I suppose if you can fool everyone into thinking you want another six-month bout of blizzard conditions and exploding trees, sure, celebrate it.

2 Likes

Yes! Originally a “lay man chapel”. Haven’t been used for 20-30 years, so plenty of renovations are needed! Power, water, sewage first. Then a work shed, and then we will add some rooms and make sleeping rooms in the loft.

I’m hijacking my own topic for the Primo upgrade.

Right now I’m speculating if I should use rj45 or jst 6 pin for wiring. I want to put all electronics inside a box, and use connectors for motors etc. I have jst connectors already, but they feel a little flimsy - and difficult to harness. Rj45 seems more sturdy, but I won’t be plugging and unplugging a lot - but I want the option. Any opinions?

1 Like

I would select rj45. Ethnet cable is ubiquitous and rj45 pucks are common these days. Biggest inconvenience is needing multi-strand wire for connectivity and the extra effort to ‘punch’ it down on the connectors. (But that’s just my opinion)

1 Like

Also, if you are going to use for something like keystone jacks for your “female” connectors, be aware that they are not really designed for stranded patchcable, you are suposed to used single thread installation cat5/cat6 cable.

What can happen if I use stranded cable though? If they are securely pushed into the “fork”, wouldn’t that be good enough?

Worse case, they will they will we worked loose from the connector. It will be more bigger chance of that with the axis moving around and the cables moving around as well. I have seen it happened in a installation with the cable is static, when they used the wrong cabl, stranded cables loosing in the keyconecters and causing drops in connection and all of bad crap.

Maybe hotglue or something like that will help.

1 Like

Yes, I was planning to use hot glue to attach the “sock” around the rj45 male plug, since they often come loose to my experience

I was thinking about using these https://forum.v1e.com/t/18692/160 but I’m not sure if they’re available in your area. There are two options on the link but both are aviation style connectors.

1 Like

Very nice ones! If I’d go for these, I’d like some sort of female socket option, to embed in the box

These are the ones I bought but ended up not using them… You get 4 pin ones too which would do for just the motor. I was going to have motor + endstop.

1 Like

What about good old ps2 connectors??

I see in the time it took me to type this up, @paulc020 has a similar recommendation as mine.

I’ve used ethernet cable in the past for 2 amp steppers in the past, but I doubled-up on the pairs as I was worried about the tiny wires losing power over distance. I didn’t use RJ-45s in that machine.

I’m doing single end-stops and series-wired motors on my Burly. I had good luck with shielded 6-conductor 22 AWG stranded cable (Belden 9942 that’s I don’t know how old - I bought a spool at a liquidator longer ago than I can remember), one run per axis, 4 motor wires (in series) and 2 for a single endstop. I used JST connectors on the machine side, taping the connectors together and tucking them in the conduit before zip-tying the cable to the endstop holder. Looks clean and I don’t have any worries about things coming apart in motion. I ran a second 6-conductor cable to the Z axis, 4 wires for PWM motor control sensor plus an unused pair that could be for LED lights or maybe a probe connection (in addition to a possible Z max endstop I’m still on the fence about).

On the box end I used GX16 6-pin (what folks have been calling “aviation connectors”) from Amazon. They weren’t bad to solder, and it’s very easy to disconnect at the box end.

If I’d been doing dual end-stops I would have just run a separate 6-pin connector and cable for each motor right back to the box.

1 Like