Print Specs?

I seem to be getting along with my new 3D printer and want to start printing MPCNC parts. Just wanted to check before I begin, when the print specs say “2 or more perimeters for through hole strength” am I correct in thinking that in CURA that would mean setting the shell thickness to 2mm?

Most printers come with a .4mm nozzle, some with a .5mm. So 1.2 to 3mm wall thickness is what you’re shooting for. I think Cura is the only slicer that does it that way, other slicers just ask you how many perimeters, top, and bottom layers you want.

Thanks! Being in a Stay Home! state I have lots of time and started fooling around. I thought I’d try printing a ‘Lock-Corner’. Looking at pictures of assembled machines I really don’t see anything that looks like what I’m seeing in the drawing but started printing, it was printing a blind conduit sized-hole and the floor looked quite thick so I aborted, the floor it printed is almost 8mm thick. Am I missing something obvious here?

On a related note I’m using CURA because it came on the SD card with the printer. I’m wondering if I’d be better off using a different slicer?

Personally I use prusaslicer, but if you already know cura, stick with it. Yea, that’s a tad bit thick though! Which printer are you using?

It’s a DIGGRO Alpha 3, considering I never had/used one ever I thought I was making good progress but this one has me scratching my head as looking at pix I’m not too sure where the Lock-Corner actually goes and whether that should be a blind hole or???.

I can’t say I actually ‘know’ CURA and not having used any others and being inexperienced it’s difficult to judge it.

Maybe post some photos of your strange prints.
If you properly printed other things with the same settings in Cura the MPCNC parts should come out quite good as well.

I think I used cura once in my 8 years of 3d printing, so I don’t know its settings. But, there should be settings for the top and bottom layer thicknesses.

There are settings for the layer thickness! You can specify it in mm or respective layers that depend on the layer height.
Maybe we should see a screenshot of the used settings as well.

I was going to load the STL file into Fusion so I could look at the part and confirm whether that part has a blind/thru hole and now it seems I may have only had a 30 day trial instead of hobby use for a year, and I don’t see an option in Tinkercad to import a file.

Probably a little early for Margaritas so maybe I’ll download a different slicer and see what comes out.

There are no blind holes in any of the mpcnc parts as far as I remember. Also, not hard to get a maker/home user license for 360, no need to reinstall.

You can register Fusion360 for home use and its for free then!
Please post screenshots of your Cura settings and photos of your concerned prints.

But, if it’s a thru hole, why would layer thickness matter if there’s not supposed to be a layer there?

Then it relates to used perimeters. Perimeter count for wales relate to print width.
But I don’t know if I understand you correctly. :smiley:

These are the settings that resulted in an almost 8mm thick floor in what should probably? be a thru hole:

You still have the part? Can we see a picture of that? Your settings look right.

You are using an ancient Cura version. That was shipped with my i3 Mega. I’m now using 4.5.
You will get problems printing layers with height of 0.4 when using a 0.4 nozzle!
But I don’t see any problematic settings although they might not be optimal yet.

As Barry wrote, please post a picture of the printed part!
Otherewise how does the part look like in Cura? At least in the preview where it should use the settings you made.

This is the part, it detached itself from the bed at this point. There was a small hole thru the bottom that I drilled out in order to get my caliper thru and measure the thickness: ~ 7.9mm

Lock

This (among many things has me puzzled) is what it looks like in Cura now but I’m 100% certain it’s not what those same settings looked like the first time I ran it.

Perhaps I should start by downloading a new version of Cura and trying that?

I see what’s going on. Your infill is pretty high. The walls for that part are thin, so it’s pretty much filling it. Try with 30% infill. That part doesn’t take any stresses, so lower infill will be alright.

That part does have that hole, it bolts to the part that goes above it, I forget what it’s called, one of the corner pieces.

Its 2mm walls but Cura should compensate that. But on the screenshot below it looks like the 7,9mm should be right if you mean the bottom thickness with the hole in the middle?!