Question about integrating additional software in v1pi image

Jeffeb3,

I have to say that your v1pi image is very nice. Very stress free after fighting other options to install software to control the CNC. I do have one question, though. How hard would it be to integrate something like retrogame into the image? Retrogame would allow the creation of a pendant using buttons plugged directly into the Pi’s GPIO pins. I was trying to do this on a base image of Raspian but kept having issues getting cnc.js installed.

-Ryan J.

1 Like

I don’t think that would work. A keyboard attached to it would just send the commands to the terminal. The keyboard shortcuts need to go to the browser you use to open the cnc.js webpage.

There is a ps3 pendant that I think can be reworked to use almost any connected usb game controller to drive cnc.js.

If you want a really good joystick control, through gpio, Jamie made it possible to configure a gpio joystick through Marlin.

1 Like

Retrogame turns the button pushes into keystrokes. Check out this video (https://youtu.be/KiLwQlUhyZM) to see what I’m talking about. He’s using UGS instead of CNC.js but the principle should work the same. It just depends on what your base is for v1pi.

OK. I just read your post again. There isn’t a desktop for your image. So you’re right. That wouldn’t work. What I would need to do is put together a keypad that was attached to whatever PC I’m using to access the web interface.

1 Like