Rambo 1.4 6 motors

After 4 months away from my build after initial problems while testing with a lot of burnt router bits I’ve decided to give it another go. I think i made the mistake and went for a 1.5kw router and now think i need another X stepper motor to give it a helping hand. Only bought it as it was supposed to be quite. I’ve checked and can’t find the solution anywhere. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

I bought the board and Nema 17’s from V1 so the board has standard flash on it.

Thanks

I’m having trouble parsing out your question. Are you asking about how to add a second X stepper to your LowRider? If so, are you asking about how to wire it up, or are you looking for the design files for how to mount the second stepper motor? Which control board did you purchase?

It might be helpful to take a step back and explore the problem. Finding a solution to “burnt router bits” doesn’t immediate scream “need more torque” to me. Perhaps you want to describe a failed carve including feeds and speeds, depth of cut, material being cut, and under what conditions do you have problems, and get some feedback on the forum. And there are a variety of ways to increase the torque without going to the work of remaking your machine with a second stepper.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry I should have been more clear. I need help with wiring the 2nd X stepper motor to the Rambo 1.4 and any software changes I need to make.

I can 3d print the holder for the motor.

I’m doing something seriously wrong as the bit burns out after about 30 seconds. To be fair though I’m using 3d printed Y plates which need changing and haven’t flattened my table. As I said I was just testing before routing cables etc. I’ll change Y plates, add the stepper and finish off CNC before test cutting.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Given that the Rambo board only has five drivers, then you likely want to wire your two X steppers in series Here is a series wiring diagram that came from this V1 page. No firmware modification is required.

I still think there is a high possibility that there is something more/different going on here that is not torque related. I’ve seen builds posted on this forum using larger spindles, and I don’t remember any serious issues with torque. As just one example of an alternate reason, you might burn out a bit quickly if your spindle is not spinning in the correct direction during cutting. I’d try an 1/8 upcut endmill at lower RPM with a shallow DOC (2mm) and a slow feedrate cutting MDF. No matter what the torque, you should be able to cut without burning a bit.

1 Like

Hi,

Spindle rotation never occurred to me. Makes a lot of sense. When I said burning I mean black smoke burning like it was rubbing.

Very tempted to give it a go over the weekend just for the heck of it.

Thanks again.

Typically burning is caused by the bit grinding the wood rather than cutting. Heat is carried away by the chips of wood that are being shaved off. This video is the first place I began to get feeds and speeds. The issue can be torque related in that one way to reduce burning is to move the router faster, and the faster you move the spindle, the less torque you have. But you could leave the spindle at the same feedrate and reduce burning by reducing the RPM of the spindle, or picking a bit with a smaller diameter, or picking a bit with less flutes.

If you are trying to move the spindle at higher feedrates, one way to increase torque is to increase the voltage. The Rambo board will handle powering the motors with 24V.

1 Like

Robert you where on the ball with spindle rotation. Changed setting 23 on my vfd and now all good.

Got my mojo back about my build so again thanks for your help :grinning:

2 Likes

That didn’t go well. Leaky shed and burnt out 1.5kw spindle. Felted roof and ordered another spindle.

Upwards and onwards as they say :grin:

Ouch. Sorry about the leaky roof. Hopefully it is just a spindle and the other electronics are okay.

Yes hopefully that’s all it was, I think someone was trying to tell me something. :grinning:

I’m just reading up on grounding the spindle and I’m a little confused. Do I attach a wire internally on pin 4 and attach to spindle body and then attach pin 4 to the vfd ground which is connected to the power cable connected to an rcd? Some people say don’t ground and others to ground, my burnt spindle wasn’t grounded so doing next one.

It’s a standard 1.5kw Chinese spindle.

I was thinking about a new thread but hopefully someone will see this.