RAMBo 1.4 optical v mechanical

Hi all, first post on here. Been circling the MPCNC for 2 months and finally about to start printing the parts for my burly build. I am just learning 3d printing and CNC. Purchased an Ender 3 a month ago and I am obsessed. I believe I am now ready to start my MPCNC build.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a RAMBO 1.4 before they sold out; but had to purchase the optical endstop which was not pre-wired. couple of questions.

1: Is it OK to use the optical endstop instead of mechanical?
2: Ryans RAMBOs come with firmware installed… is it easy to flash on my own?
3: Ryans RAMBOs are significantly cheaper… any specific reason why?
4: @vicious1 do you still prefer RAMBo over the Archim 2? I have traced back all the comments and seems this is still the case. I am within 5 days of return policy and just wanted to confirm.

Thank you and look forward to the build and I am sure that I will begin a “new build” thread soon.

• skill_cap

You’d have to come up with your own endstop mounts and flag. Should work, but don’t forget to clean them before every use. They don’t like dirty environments.

1 Like

1)I agree with Barry. They will work unless they are dirty. Probably need firmware edits, haven;t used them in 6 years or so.

2)yup flashed, easy to do as well. Made a page of instructions with lots of pictures.

3)I buy them by the truckload and don’t have to pay employees or for a warehouse. Garage life is awesome like that.

4)Yes, Rambo has it all and is easier to use.

2 Likes

I flashed the board several times to get exactly what I wanted out of the board.

1 Like

The first flash was a little exciting for me, double checking the ug8lib or whichever it was, adding the board definition, trying to figure out why it wouldn’t connect to the arduino ide (hint: it was still talking to repetier…oops). But I was successful thanks to the help on the V1 page.
Don’t even think about it now. “I want to try z probe” bloop bloop bloop flash done. “I want the cooling fan to only turn on when the motors are powered” bloop bloop bloop done. “I want to…” etc.

Flashing, and later editing firmware is what brought me into this so passionately. I think it is very worth looking at. so powerful and it really is 90% human readable.

Thanks for the quick response!

Any Chance you have the full RAMBo Kit available or are going to get any in the foseable future? I would prefer to buy it and some of the basics through you. If not, I am going to order the mechanical endstops for ease… don’t want to add any extra complexity.

I’m a little intimidated by the software; but the resources help and so do these boards. thanks again for this most wonderful distraction.

Yup, unless I already sold all of them again.

I was outside my return window. I am about to begin printing my parts today.

Thanks for the responses and look forward to being more involved in the community

cheers,
skill_cap

1 Like