Recommended V bit angle

My 30° 1/8" v-bit has broken. I’m looking for a sturdier 6mm shank option, that fits my original Makita rt0700 collet.

I’ve read in the forum, that it’s recommended to have a steep v angle, because it makes uneven z level (either on the gantry and/or the board/material) less obvious. What is a good trade off between this issue, strength of the mill head, and the characteristics of the cut? I found the 30° too steep in terms of how it cut. The cut’s where too deep, and not very wide in terms of cutting time, and the looks of it.

What would you recommend? 45° or 60°? I guess I should get both, but as with everything else in this project, I try to keep a moderate approach with all the bying, but in the end, I always end up otherwise… :innocent:

Ryan sells a 45. Those have worked well for me, despite the abuse I’ve given them.

1 Like

I like the 45* for smaller and/or more detailed V-carves, and the 60* for larger signs and such. I picked up a 1/2 inch diameter 60* bit for the larger projects.

1 Like

The choice of V-Bit angle depends on the size of your characters since smaller angles will cut deeper. Do some test cuts to make sure you can paint/see that v carve lines.