Reducing nut capture size

My initial solution to this is to obtain the CAD files and reduce the size of the captures. Upon searching the forums it appears that this isn’t a solution.

The nuts which do fit the captures are only available in wider thread sizes, I try using these size bolts but that splits the prints, even if I drilled them first. Having captures that are too large is worse than having no captures as it’s impossible to get a spanner or socket into the gap.

As I’ve had my CNC for 5 years, I’ve noticed many of the pieces are starting to crack and need re-printing I’m hoping to obtain some edited parts before printing because I dread taking the machine apart and re-assembling it as the nuts have always been a major drama. You won’t believe how much pain I had completing the construction of the inner tube Z parts.

I was wondering if there is a solution to this.
Thanks

I have not heard of this being a common issue (except for burly corner top, which had partly-captive nuts).

What parts and which model are you having the issue with? Is this a five year old model? Is it metric or imperial?

My solution is to use Solidworks to fill the hole in the .stl and then recut it. I assume this is possible is other cad software.

A

I had a similar problem when I mounted the Burly MPCNC with metric nuts.
I used a quick and dirty solution that worked very well for me: I inserted the screwdriver blade to help lock the nut and was able to tighten everything perfectly without wasting time
Hope this will help you

1 Like

It doesn’t take much to jam a nut. In another situation recently I had a metric/imperial conversion in a refrigerator part and plead guilty to printing an adapter like this - 0.5mm bottom thickness and from memory about 1.8 for the walls? All perimeter no infill - it was mounting a plastic tray to a metal subframe, with no access for a spanner.

I just figure that if the plastic compresses a bit it doesn’t matter, but in the case of the MPCNC just make it out of the same material if the screwdriver trick doesn’t work for you.
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 7.17.38 pm

1 Like